Sugar Alcohols???

Options
I use Kroger brand "sugar free" syrup. When I plugged it into to my diary, it gives me 9 grams of sugar per serving. After double checking the lable, I saw that the syrup contains sugar alcohol, but not sugar.

Should I count sugar alcohol as straight up sugar in my diary? This is important to me as I try to limit my sugar intake.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• shapeupstephanie
    Options
    I don't use fake suger. It's really not doing any good. Your body thinks it getting sugar, and then when it doesn't get it, you start craving more sugar!!!! just cut back on your sugar intake. But stick to true sugar.... hope this helps! also look up DR. oz show he tells you alot about this topic
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    anything that is advertised sugar or fat free has been chemically altered. if you must have a sweet sticky food stick with pure honey or real maple syrup. both are naturally sweeten by nature.
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should probably count that, since it is a significant enough source of calories to affect your calorie budget.

You'll notice as you use myfitnesspal more that it doesn't distinguish between types of sugars. I get go over on sugar all the time, but it's because of the fruit I eat. Yes, the fruit has its own kind of sugar, even though it's not the white stuff you're used to thinking about.

In short, I count all sugars, but I try to limit my intake on the processed sugars, which include granulated or powdered sugars and alcohols.

But since your question involves syrup, I'd say go for the real Vermont maple syrup. Not because I avoid "fake sugars", but rather because I find it sweeter and more satisfying than your Aunt Jemima-style syrups. A "serving" is something like 1/4 cup of maple syrup, and I probably use half that.
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!