any vegans/vegetarians out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I try to be vegetarian at home. I never have meat in my refrigerator. The only time I find it hard is when I'm out with friends and they want to get, say, a pizza with meat on it or I'm eating at someone else's house and they've prepared a meat dish. I'm not about to turn down free food! haha. I enjoy being vegetarian a lot and never feel like I'm depriving myself.

My FAVORITE veggie resources are the Moosewood cookbook and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest both by Mollie Katzen. Soooo many fun and delicious veggie recipes with whole ingredients and low fat. And its all stuff that you would usually have with meat like lasagna and soups and casseroles. YUM!
  • la_wilson04
    Options
    I have considered it; actually I didn’t make a 30 day commitment, just a one week. My first day on the site was yesterday and I love it. I would love any tips as well, but my reasons are a little of both health and some serious weight loss.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 11 years and I have developed an overall well-balanced diet. Over the past year, I've become more of a pescatarian, as I do occasionally eat fish to bring variety into my diet. I'm veggie because I simply don't like meat - no ethics involved (except the thought of factory farming is quite off-putting!). It makes the occasional meat ingredient discovery less gut-wrenching if you just don't like it vs. being ethical about it!

It took a while to find what I like and what works for me. My favorite recipe site is vegetariantimes.com. I love Indian and Asian food. Edamame, or any beans and bean products (soy), are my main protein source. Black beans and rice, for example, is said to create protein that's similar to animal proteins. I also love snacking on mixed nuts and adding small portions of dairy to meals (sour cream, cheese, etc).

My hubby is not vegetarian, but he just prepares meat on the side and adds it in separately, so it usually works out well for homecooked meals.

I take calcium supplements, a multivitamin and joint health supplements now that I'm working out.

Good luck!