Calorie Goals - Up or Not - What did you do?

Options
How many of you have changed your calorie goals, doing something different from what MFP recommends?*curious* Mine is set at 1,200, but I don't see the weight falling off very fast. I've only lost 10 pounds. I was thinking about adding 100-200 calories on to see what happens. What do you guys think?

Shannon

Replies

• momroe
    Options
    get more exercise instead
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I have actually set mine at lose 1 pound a week, which gives me an extra 500 calories a day...i don't always eat them, and it has actually helped with weight loss.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I started with the MFP recommendations for 1lb a week and it worked great (my goal was somewhere in the area 13-1400 before exercise). Then when i got into the 1200 range I noticed a slowing, so I manually adjusted my goals to .8lbs a week (to stay in the 13-1400 area) and its been pretty steady.

Why are your goals set to 1200? Are you eating your exercise cals?
  • vikeschick42
    Options
    I upped mine to 1 pound a week, which put me at 1490 a day. I am usually around 1300-1400. And have been losing weight. When I was around 1100-1200 a day I lost weight at first, but then it came to a halt.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Mine sets me at 1200 but I'm eating 1600. When my activity level went up due to jobs, I punched it into MFP and it said I should be eating 1400 ... I was already eating 1400 and losing fine. I tried decreasing down to 1471 for all of January and didn't lose a thing, Soooo, I'm back at 1600.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories goals at 1200 to lose 2 pounds a week. Obviously, it wants me to exercise as well... which allows for more of a food intake. I've been exercising about 4-6 days a week and have been at or very near my calorie goal, but the scale has hardly budged. I do eat some of my exercise calories, but not all of the time.... only if I'm truly hungry.

So, based on your experience, do you think uping it by 100 calories could help budge the scale or isn't that enough?

Shannon
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should go into your goals and set it to 1lb a week- 2 is too much. If you get to 1200 again at the 1lb goal, that's a signal that you need to lower your deficit and slow your weightloss again.