My cals vs. other's cals

Options
I see a lot of folks on 1200 calories but mine are way high at 1907 a day. This is the recommended guided system and not the one I do myself. I'm still losing weight which is great, but I'm wondering why all those folks have such low calories? Is it because they are not as heavy as I am?

Replies

• Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For the most part yes. As you lose weight, your caloric intake will be adjusted to the needs of the body to lose weight. I started at 1900 calories and now down to 1770, but really you should never go under 1200.
  • MonicaBenavidez
    MonicaBenavidez Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bingo! That's exactly why. :-) If what you're doing is working for you, don't worry about the rest! Best wishes.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    My calories are set at 1200 because I would like to lose 1.5 lb a week. I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 150 with about another 20 lbs to go. So in order to lose 1.5 lb a week I'm allowed 1200 calories plus my exercise calories.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yes thats correct, mine is set only at 1200 because I will lose 1.5 lbs that way. Im about 5 ft 3 and 129lbs
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It depends on a few things. Your starting weight is one- the heavier you are, the more you can eat and still lose weight. The less weight you have to lose, the less you can eat and the harder it gets. Height is another, as is gender (men can eat more than women) and how active you are. The more active you are the more you get to eat. Also, how much you put in that you want to lose per week. The quicker you want to lose weight, the less you can eat.

The most important thing is that you set it up right and it is working for you. If you were honest about everything and MFP told you to eat 1907, then do it! Especially if it is working!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could be a combination. They may have a goal of 2 lbs/week (1000 cals deficit/day), not sure what your goal is. Those set at 1200 most likely have their activity level set at Sedentary, you may be light active, not sure. And there is the weight thing, the more you weigh the more calories you burn, therefore you get to eat more.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I depends in the initial and goal weight, hight, and age, of the person, and also if they have a sedentary life or an active one. A 120lb person that wishes to loose 10 lbs requires less calories than a 200lb person that wishes to loose 50 lbs.

I hope that this very simple information is helpful.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Yep. Someone with more to lose will have a higher cal goal (as it takes more to fuel a bigger body). Also, even aside from level of obesity, you might just be bigger. At 5'9", I get way more cals than someone who is 5'2". As you lose, you'll get fewer cals too. Enjoy it while it lasts! lol
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories (pre-exercise) and that was me entering in the info and the computer telling me what I needed....
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    yep, it's a ll a formula for creating a deficit between losing and maintaining. To lose 2 lbs per week the deficit is 1000 cals per day, for 1 lb per week it's 500 per day defecit.
    Stick with what you are doing, it clearly works for you. As you get closer to goal weight it gets harder because you have to eat fewer cals and the deficit is smaller so the it takes longer.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a 2000 calories and it's based on our current weight, height , activity and weight loss goal. And I, for one am glad that I have more calories!!!! I think I would starve if I had to start with 1200 calories a day. :wink:

I love that I can eat up to 2000 calories a day and still lose a pound a week! Woo hoo!

I am sure our daily calorie goal will reduce as our weight reduces!

Cheers to us!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's also because they set their weight loss goals very high (2lbs a week or higher sometimes)
  • trubeauty
    Options
    I don't know! I weigh more than you and it gave me a much lower number so I had to increase it. I know it depends on your age, weight, height, and activity level. I put not active because I didn't want workouts as part of the calculation, but in reality everyone is different. Two people could be the same weight, age, height, and have the same activity level and burn differently. That's why I got the body media fit, to help me identify what was really goin on!! :-)
    Also a lot of people default to 1200 as that is what they feel how much it should be.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Yes thats correct, mine is set only at 1200 because I will lose 1.5 lbs that way. Im about 5 ft 3 and 129lbs

Gotta say to the couple of posters indicating this
    NOT good. At 5'3" and 130, you almost certainly should NOT have a loss goal of 1.5 lbs/week. At most, 1 lb/week and possibly only 1/2 lb. Your level of body fat percentage will simply not allow that high a rate of loss.

Recommend reading this thread -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Good luck to you!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

MFP's bottom line is 1200 - It won't go below that because we aren't supposed to go below that. My BMR is at 1500 (I'm sedentary) and I'm set to lose .5 lb per week. My daily goal is 1250. That's a 250 calorie per day deficit. If I up that to 1 lb per week MFP will put me at 1200 (only a 300 cal deficit). If I up that to 1.5 lb MFP will still put me at 1200 (a 300 cal deficit). To lose 1.5 lb per week you would need a 750 calorie deficit per day so your BMR would have to be 1950 to get that 750 cal per day deficit. Is it? I doubt it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

This is for Naomi91

Search the Message Boards using these terms: "Relatively light people trying to get leaner". There is loads of info for us.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input y'all. I did notice that my calorie intake has lowered since starting! I was at 2010 cals a day and minus 20 lbs later its 1970. Good deal. Thanks for clarifying it for me y'all. Love ya bunches.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just to set the record straight- I am not looking to lose massive amounts of weight in a short period of time, as I only have about 10lbs to lose total. I am 5'7 and my calories are at 1200- that is what the computer gave me based on my inputs- which did NOT include losing 1-2lbs per week. I am lower than that. My BMI is currently on the low end of normal and my weight is also at the lower end of society's standards- and I am FULL at the end of the day with my calories- Just saying......
    BUT- I exercise like crazy every day and I build up at least an additional 400 calories daily- most of which I do not eat back!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Just to set the record straight- I am not looking to lose massive amounts of weight in a short period of time, as I only have about 10lbs to lose total. I am 5'7 and my calories are at 1200- that is what the computer gave me based on my inputs- which did NOT include losing 1-2lbs per week. I am lower than that. My BMI is currently on the low end of normal and my weight is also at the lower end of society's standards- and I am FULL at the end of the day with my calories- Just saying......
    BUT- I exercise like crazy every day and I build up at least an additional 400 calories daily- most of which I do not eat back!

1200 is a general number for Starvation Mode (scientifically known as the Famine Response). Some people could be lower. Very, very small people possibly. Even doctors will advise not to go under 1200. I go under on some days and make sure to go over on some days. If the number stays under 1200 every day the weight loss will eventually come to a screeching halt.
  • meglane
    Options

so why do you want to lose weight? I'm a bit confused. Maybe your just getting older and your body is reseting fat distribution. who knows. don't be so hard on yourself.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Your problem will likely be NOT eating your exercise cals. When you have very little to lose, your body has to KNOW it will be getting enough cals. Recommend reading these threads, as you will plateau with that kind of deficit, if you haven't already.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits