Job placement agencies....

Options
Fab140
Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
Have any of you had any luck with these?

Any horror stories?

I'm interviewing with one today and I would like to know if it's worth it......

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Fab140
    Options
    Have any of you had any luck with these?

Any horror stories?

I'm interviewing with one today and I would like to know if it's worth it......

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    They're a good resource for getting your foot in the door with larger companies. I worked for one for about 5 months before I got hired on with my company.

13 years(!) :noway: later, I'm still here. :smile:
  • Fab140
    Options
    Awesome! Fingers crossed then!!!
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was a professional temp for years and years, and I loved it. a good one gets you into some really cool places and if you travel like I did you can just go to their local branch and start working. ( I used a national service) Its a great way to get into some of the bigger corps and to learn a bunch of new stuff too. If they send you to a place that truly sucks you can call them and tell them the job is not what they were told and they will bring you home. I was with a temp company that after a year with them you got vacations, sick days and everything. I don't know if they still do that now or not. but the great thing about temping is you are never sucked up into office politics, you are in and out of a place in anything from a week to months, you can take off when you want, switch jobs if you don't like it, you never have to take any crap. when I settled down I switched from temping to temp to hire and its good too. good luck.
  • Fab140
    Options
    That would be awesome! Unfortunetly, I'm a married woman with a lot of bills. I can't even imagine being unemployed right now! That's what scares me about this temp to hire stuff. :noway:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome! Unfortunetly, I'm a married woman with a lot of bills. I can't even imagine being unemployed right now! That's what scares me about this temp to hire stuff. :noway:

Temping gives you & the company a chance to see if you're a good fit. Plus, it gives you a advantage over a stranger off the street whenever a full-time position opens up. :smile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I got my current job through a temp agency. I've been here for 8 years. When I lived in Illinois I got my job there through a temp agency also. Good luck to you.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am a recruiter at one.... :laugh: I can tell you the good and the bad.... overall I think it's a great idea to keep your options open, and there are plenty of GREAT ones that will genuinely take care of you and help you in your career. Then there are the rest of them.... :noway: anyway if you question anything that they have said or done shoot me a message I'll let you know if they're being straight with you.
  • Fab140
    Options
    I am a recruiter at one.... :laugh: I can tell you the good and the bad.... overall I think it's a great idea to keep your options open, and there are plenty of GREAT ones that will genuinely take care of you and help you in your career. Then there are the rest of them.... :noway: anyway if you question anything that they have said or done shoot me a message I'll let you know if they're being straight with you.

Thank you! I will do just that! I had to reschedule, but when I get in there, I'll certainly take notes!
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just remember where ever they send you, YOU are trying THEM out. Not the other way around. A talented, professional, experienced person is worth their weight in gold. while temp to hire is a great way to get in with a company I personally loved the freedom of regular temping. as an experienced admin/receptionist I can step into nearly any office in the world and after a brief introduction to the way that company handles process can do a competent job, I always got call backs if I was in town longer than a few months, and the temp place knew my record for showing up on time, doing excellent work, etc and sent me to some of the best places. I was rarely out of work unless I chose to be. Covering vacations, filling in while they are setting up new locations, working several months while a place closed, or opened or the regular person was on leave or short term disability is fantastic. I love change and challenge and being able to think on my feet. I am more settled now and like most people need steady work and steady pay, I really like my permanent company and am expecting to continue there, but if something should happen to end this job, I will head straight back to the service. The only other advice I can give you is you should never pay a fee to get a position. You are making them money just by working. (as a rule they get half again as much as they pay you. sometimes more.) I know when I went from temp to hire my salary almost doubled. so, you may have to start off for the 90 or 120 days(whatever your contract is) at smaller money, it is frequently worth it in the long run. Good Luck