two questions: protien and spinach!

Options
I'm a vegetarian and looking for ways to get a bit more protein in to my diet as it tends to be a bit carb-heavy most of the time. Any tips?

Also, I love spinach but I run out of ideas for what to do with it fast. If anyone has some fairly quick and easy ideas that'd be awesome!

Replies

• missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tofu & beans
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For protein, cottage cheese, and whey protein powder.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I mix ground turkey (but since you are vegetarian maybe you can get soy meat) with spinach and egg beaters. I add a little seasoning and sometimes some a lowfat mozerella on top. So yummy!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and I suggest: cottage cheese, quinoa, protein powder (optimum nutrition 100% whey extreme chocoltale milk is my favorite), and greek yogurt/granola. As for the spinach, I tend to toss it in a large pan with olive oil, garlic, and tomatoes and serve over pasta and cheese...very yummy. It is also good on sandwiches or wraps. I also make a yummy brown rice and mushroom casserole (from 101cookbooks.com) that I freeze and eat over time...it is SO good and high in protein (i sub out the sour cream for greek yogurt for more).

Good luck!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, Bread (yup, two slices of most bread has 10g of protein in it), milk and cheese, tofu, protein powder.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I want to try this recipe; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-spinach-sauce-recipe/index.html. You could add more spinach, either in the sauce or cut up with the penne.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but I like sandwiches made with whole wheat bread and Fresh Spinach. Add a little mayo with Olive Oil and you've got a very filling sandwich without too much sodium and very few calories.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I make spinach and mushroom pizzas using a whole wheat tortilla as the crust! Part skim moz and a tablespoon of organic marinera. :) Also, adding nuts into your diet is a great way to add protein.
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and looking for ways to get a bit more protein in to my diet as it tends to be a bit carb-heavy most of the time. Any tips?

Also, I love spinach but I run out of ideas for what to do with it fast. If anyone has some fairly quick and easy ideas that'd be awesome!

I made a spinach salad last night, it was amazing..... half a diced peach, 2 cups of fresh spinach and a homemade dressing made from EVOO, orange strawberry guava juice and a dash of salt and pepper, I loved it. Im also having a hard time with the protein.. add me if you'd like, you can snoop through my food :)
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but I like sandwiches made with whole wheat bread and Fresh Spinach. Add a little mayo with Olive Oil and you've got a very filling sandwich without too much sodium and very few calories.

I'm totally trying this!
  • noisyhearts
    noisyhearts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many awesome responses! Thanks, ladies, there was loads of stuff I hadn't even thought of in there.
  • Ruxie
    Ruxie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of "Fantastik" brand mixes, they have a soy taco that is truly amazing (even my meat loving friends think it's good), they also have an awesome hummus mix, falafal, veggie burger mixes, and more. Check it out if you don't already.

I also love spinach, and use it in a lot of cooking, like eggs, I even use it on tacos in place of lettuce and I think it works awesome.

I second to whoever said greek yogurt, mmmm. especially the kind that has honey with it... perfect! :)
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I have a way to incorporate both!

One of my favourite meals is a spinach and chickpea curry.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12393.0
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    protein powder, banana, spinach, almond/soy milk and ice = smoothie. I drink one every morning! It may be green but it tastes like chocolate, peanut butter and banana!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I like to make "winter tacos" with cooked butternut squash (or sweet potatoes), beans, cooked spinach and avocado. Add salsa, cheese to taste.

I also like to add the spinach to any pasta item. All work fine in my book: creamy or not.

Sautee spinach with olive oil, onion/shallot/garlic and chile flakes for a couple of minutes for a cood side dish.

If you each cheese, try a sandwich with a creamy cheese (goat, brie), spinach and jarred roasted peppers in a crusty bread. Maybe some pesto or tapenade. Heat it up in the a 350 degree oven and you'll have an instant gourmet sandwich.

You can also go indian and make saag paneer: spinach and cheese.