Pain in my knee while working out!

julwills
julwills Posts: 286 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I'm having some pain in my knees (mostly my right but sometimes in my left) while I'm working out. Generally I do Zumba 3-4 times a week and have been noticing it more and more lately. It's usually when i'm bending my knee and it's a pretty sharp pain. It usually goes away when i'm done working out but I definitely don't want to be in pain during my work out! I'm planning on seeing an orthopedic doctor to see if it's anything serious but figured I'd check here to see if anyone had any ideas. I have a feeling once I lose all of the weight I want to lose it will go away (I'm currently about 250 and 5'8"). Would an athletic knee brace help at all?

Replies

• I have the same problem! So be sure to let us know what your doctor says! :)
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    That happened to me and it eventually got to the point where I couldn't bring my leg up into the car without lifting it with my hands. I had to go through physical therapy. I'd call a local podiatrist and see if they offer any free consultations. It may be the support of your shoes, maybe your back, they can give you some ideas to start with at least.
  • For active women that work out consistantly, a common problem is over-strengthening of the lateral thigh muscle which then pulls the patella laterally (toward the outside), creating friction along the femoral crest. A knee brace with a patellar stabilizer really helps. If it gets worse I would definately see an "orthopod" or physical therapist.
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    I have had two fairly nasty knee injuries on my right knee (torn reflex muscles and torn ligaments). Whenever I am working out or doing anything physical, I always have my knee brace on. Definitely bring it to your doctor's attention though, and make sure that you listen to your body. If you push yourself to far, you'll end up doing more harm than good, taking yourself two steps back. The more weight I lose, the better it gets and the stronger it gets. I may not need it at all one day, but for now, safety first.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I used to get that quite a bit when I ran. Usually a break from exercise would be enough to make the pain and sometime swelling go away. I would say to avoid the moves that hurt. You know your body best and if you can come up with an alternative movement, you'll be better off. Getting it checked by a doctor is a good idea though.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    Me too! Well something different at least. I have had some serious knee pain over the past week or so. It came out of the blue. Usually for me, knee pain means it is time to crack my knee, but it isn't working this time. Mine hurts when I bend it to about 120-160 degrees. It has decreased though, so I think I'll evaluate mid week. I've been doing about 8x more sitting at work than I have in my entire life, and I am sure there is a connection.

Love to hear your verdict. I am going to wait it out a few more days, mine feels fine when I am in motion, just the bending kills me.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Thank you all for the tips! Once I get in to see a Dr. I'll let you know what they say :happy:
This discussion has been closed.