Accidental Earth Killer

Options
I have a hard time with remembering to bring my reusable shopping bags with me to the store. I used to be really good about it when I lived in a town where I could easily get to the store (I used to ride my bike, which was fun and awesome). But since we moved, I'm having trouble and I feel pretty terrible about using plastic bags. Here's where I have trouble:

-I can't ride my bike to the store anymore because we live in the hills and it's only a three speed.
-Even if I could ride my bike to to town, there's only a couple of markets with marked-up tourist prices. The nearest grocery stores are a 30 minute drive away. So, if I realize that I forgot my bags, it's not easy for me to turn around and get them.
-I forget to put the bags in the car after I bring the groceries into the house.

I'm just looking for some tips on how to remember to put the bags back in the car. Maybe if I put a note in the bags?

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm awful with this too, but now we leave our bags right beside the front door instead of tucked away, and so far we've been better about remembering them!!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My mom puts hers back in the car as soon as she unloads them. Then she always has them. :)
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe leave the bags in the car and walk back and forth from the car to the house carrying the items in your hands instead. A bonus of extra walking plus not forgetting your bags.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    put a reminder in your phone that tells you to put the bags in the car. I have a box in the car and that's where I store my bags - I don't keep them in the house, that way they are always in car.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As soon as I unpack the groceries, I stuff all the other bags into one bag and then hang it on the handle of the back door. The next time I leave the house, the bags are hanging there as a reminder to toss them in the trunk of the car.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the car. After brining things in I fold them and put them under my purse by the door to take them back to the car. I remember most of the time :happy:
  • netsirk419
    netsirk419 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hang them from your door knob or keep them with your keys.
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i make shopping lists every time i go. i always write on the bottom. "don't foget bags" so when i add to my list throughout the week i see it! :)
  • thekern
    Options
    As soon as we unpack ours, I try to put them all inside one bag and hang them on the door handle with my purse for the next time I go to the car. If they're in the car already, I have no excuse not to use them!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! You know, I think that hanging them on the door will help a lot. I have been putting them away in a drawer! That makes no sense.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Same as others have said, as soon as I unload the groceries, I hang the empty bags from our from door knob (our garage is unattached). Then, the next time one of leaves the house, we take the bags back to the car. Also, I have more bags than I need for a typical grocery run, so there is usually at least one in the trunk, even if the rest are in the house.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son doesn't seem to grasp the concept of reusable bags. He'll bag the groceries in the plastic bags then put them in the reusuable bags. :huh: :ohwell:
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My son doesn't seem to grasp the concept of reusable bags. He'll bag the groceries in the plastic bags then put them in the reusuable bags. :huh: :ohwell:

Maybe he thinks "Hey, these really allow me to carry more bags!"
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    When I'm done putting the groceries away, I put the bags right at the back door, so next time I leave I know to take them with me.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    As soon as I unpack the groceries, I stuff all the other bags into one bag and then hang it on the handle of the back door. The next time I leave the house, the bags are hanging there as a reminder to toss them in the trunk of the car.

This.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Maybe he thinks "Hey, these really allow me to carry more bags!"

I guess. Plus we get free disposable bags to use when cleaning out the littler pan. :laugh:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have 3 large bags that I fold in half and put a binder clip on. I put them under my purse and take them back out to the car the next time I go out. If I put them on the door knob my guy would throw them out. Yes he is a bit of a neat freak, doesn't like things out of place. If I don't go out in the next day or so he will take them out and drop them in my trunk.