New here

Options
After a few days I decided to introduce myself! My name is Luis and I am 21 years old. For about 2 years I have been looking to join the Air Force. I was around 185-195 at that time (work was more intense) then I got a new job which involved being sitting down almost all day. I was already spending a lot of time sitting down at home because I do music and websites on the computer... eating junk all the time (a lot of Burger King!)

After 2 years of school I went back to my recruiter and told him my decision was final... I wanted to join, but guess what? I was 20 pounds overweight... they have 2 days intense physical training... so I started going. I lost 4 pounds just by doing those and running by myself (I use to ran around 2 miles before while in high school, also did around 15 miles on bicycle on other days)

So sitting at 216 I felt I needed more... so I started to eat even better and run even faster... also started doing the Insanity workout. Now I am at 210 and sinking like a brick. I am drinking my vitamins and eating really good food. I feel GREAT most of the time specially after my workouts. My recruiter told me to just lose 15 pounds... I only have 5 more to go to be able to take the next step into joining!

I want to be at around 185-190. I am 6'0 tall. I am working out HARD 6 times a week + losing around 6-7 pounds a week. I drink around 14 cups of water a day. I hope this is not too much but I am very picky about my goals.

Replies

• Toaster88
    Options
    As an ex-Air Force-er I can tell you it is worth it. Get down to the weight they need you, do all the PT in Basic you can, and keep at it. They have periodic fitness tests as well. You're 3/4's of the way there, keep going!
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i am also pretty new to this site also.... ive been pretty frustrated as i lost close to 8 lbs with in the first week to week & 1/2. now im at a stand still....
    after reading your post, i think that setting your goal to lost 6 pounds a week seems to be a bit much.... the research ive done and read thru states the slower it is to take the weight off..the longer you will keep the weight off....
    ive been doing 5-6 miles on my elliptical daily, counting calories, drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily....
    if you have any tips for me as how i can keep losing please send me your thoughts...
    good luck to you!
  • dunztar
    Options
    While thats true, if you keep working hard you will keep the weight off. One of the main things keeping me eating better is the fact that I am working SO hard that eating junk food is literally disgusting now. Since I only do 1 day off having grease in my body before or after a workout is not good... one, I will trow it up, and two it will make my chest hurt or feel like crap. First day I did P.T I trew up all my food! It was embarrasing specially since it was infront of the group. I was dizzy... who was to blame? My bad food decisions... also I ate around 4 hours before the workout! This is how bad grease is for you! After that all other P.Ts have been way better.

I am not a fan of protein shakes and things like that. I might eat a protein bar once or twice a week after my workout but I prefer natural items like milk, eggs, chicken, and other good natural sources of protein. I drink 12-14 cups of water a day because trust me, with the insanity workout you literally look like you came out of the shower, but its your own sweat!

MrsDauer. I am no expert but if you are on a stand still is because you hit what they call plateau. This is when your body is like "WHAT THE HECK!" and it starts storing fat (like starvation)... it will take a few days until your body adjusts and you start losing some more pounds. Most people quit when they hit plateau... don't quit!
  • Sugarbunz
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been using Myfitnesspal on my cellphone for about a week now and LOVE it!!! It has really been an eye opener showing me all the stuff I eat that maybe I shouldn't be. Excercises I never thought were calorie burners (food prep/cooking) I've started keeping track of. Every little bit counts...but on the flip side so does all the junk we let in our reach. I have a couple of big reasons for getting into shape and they are to be a better role model for my son and to look amazing on my wedding day.

I have tried other diets with no luck, but with keeping the food and exercise diary I have noticed a steady change and my eating habits have gotten a lot healthier. I used to set unreasonable goals and would get so discouraged when I didn't reach them. Now, I have set a reasonable goal of 2lbs per 2 week period. My ultimate goal is to lose at least 42lbs by my wedding in March of 2012. With a bit of support and the help of myfitnesspal diaries, I can do it!!

Good luck on your goals!
    Cheers! :flowerforyou: