calories??!!

Options
Hey.

I was just wondering if anyone else finds it hard to meet their calorie goal, especially when they have exercised? I seem to have real trouble to get to the 1240 I am meant to be allowed. The thing is, after reading a few of the other topics it seems I should be meeting or exceeding the calorific goal slightly to keep energy levels up and actually lose weight.

The other thing that bugs me slightly is that MFP seems to congratulate you in big bold words saying "you are under your calorific goal", which others applaud and say 'well done' to though it is detrimental, which they point out to you in tiny red letters at the bottom. Does anyone else think this is back to front?

I guess I'm just confused and need to think of a way of making up the calories in a healthy way without eating just anything 'coz I have calories left over that I should be using.'

Anyone have healthy ideas thaat arent too time consuming or expensive? (Single working mum here) :P

Replies

• LukeEalden
    Options
    Hi

I've had a similar problem, albeit with a much higher calorie allowance.

Try and eat more often, maybe try things like nuts, fruit, etc as a mid morning and mid afternoon snack to get a few calories in as well as keeping your metabolism up.

I don't profess to be an expect but have had similarly good advice from others.

Good luck!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am learning about high calorie food that is good for me milk/almond milk,peanut butter,nuts and grains, fat free cottage cheese and such.
    Good Luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was eating way to little. I had to try to eat 2-3 times what I was used to. I started by eating a bigger breakfast since that was easiest for me. Then I'd add a little extra food to each meal and I tried to get in 1 or 2 snacks. After a week of consciously eating a little more here and there I found I got my appetite back and it wasn't hard to eat the right amount of food.
  • stephgodzilla
    Options
    I try not to focus on the ACTUAL calories but remind myself to eat fruits and veggies throughout the day. Most of my meals can easily be without fruits and veggies so I make a conscious effort to eat some. This can fill in the extra calories your body needs and also keep you full so you don't 'cheat' on other unhealthy calories..
  • hariceri
    Options
    I shall have to get my bottom to the wholefood shop tomorrow and grab me some mixed nuts and fruit. I need to lean to healthy snack!! :happy:

Another thing I wonder about is how to get whole grains into food. I imagine whole grains as, you know, just the grain. I cant do porridge :sick: hmmmmm. Gonna have to look around methinks.
  • holliwest
    Options
    If I have extra calories at night, I usually have an additional Protien shake to make up for them..
  • hariceri
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys :happy:

I have been going a bit smoothie mad, and eat a fair amount of veg anyway so I think it is gonna have to be the nuts and dried whole grain direction :)