what have you learned lately

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
i posted this in success because i believe the more we know the more successful we can be so i thought it would be nice to share something we've all learned recently like say within the past week.

for me i've learned you dont have to have meats to get your protien in, this is huge because it has made me eat more vegetables as opposed to some of the bad meats i was eating. I still eat meat but i dont have to have them every meal.

Replies

• danibowron
    danibowron Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmm... what have I learned lately? I read on the newbie thread why it's important to make sure you eat your exercise calories, because if you don't you run the risk of eating too few calories which can put your body into starvation mode.

I still have trouble eating veggies...

So what other ways are you getting your protein?
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm learning more of the science of how our bodies use carbohydrates to function and how it affects our body to reduce them. The results of my learning are still inconclusive. There are many educated opinions on low carb dieting and whether or not it's a healthy way to burn fat.

The more I'm learning about it, the further from an answer I feel like I'm getting, lol. It feels really good to educate myself about it though.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    whey protein is good and quick, if you are strenght training. Otherwise, egg whites, turkey, and chicken.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    adding the sodium tracker to my food diary was a HUGE eye opener to the cumulative amounts of 'hidden' sodium. (and I'd thought I was doing pretty decently managing salt before I'd added that tracker!)

Now? I have not picked up the salt shaker to add a single drop of salt since!
    I've been eating ONLY the sodium in the low sodium versions of things like canned broth and canned tomatoes without adding a single bit more.. and I have surprised myself with how little I am missing added salt since doing so!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have learned that if you are gonna eat a store-bought cupcake, you should most def knock the frosting off : ) It's usually pretty terrible anyway.
  • thomasmarnold
    Options
    I have learned that you can never really know what you will learn from your friends on MFP. Through support, friendship, and caring, you will have everything you need to make your dreams and goals come true. Friendship is the #1 thing that will get your Big Butt to turn into a Little butt here on MFP....LOL LOL LOL I love my Friends.....
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I learn that I feel even hotter and sexier than I did before when I lose inches!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I needed to up my calories for the day!! I wasn't consuming enough to actually lose weight...such an adjustment when you consider doing the healthy thing to eat less.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I learned that there is a huge difference in the various "protein bars." Read the labels very carefully. Some of the Protein Bars have huge sugar counts (25 grams), and not such high protein grams. Only buy the bars that suit your needs. They are often more expensive, but that is the only way to go. Otherwise you are wasting your money. You can break the larger bars into 1/2 or 1/4 and add them as a snack to make sure you reach your protein goal for the day.
  • alitarose
    alitarose Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    "If you want something bad enough, you’ll find a way...if not, you’ll find an excuse."

Saw this on someones profile page. It really sunk in......
  • Meeko1971
    Options
    for a quick and easy protein fix, try light string cheese

but as for what I have learned, losing inches doesn't necessarily mean losing pounds......muscle weighs more than fat. So I'm gaining muscle right now and not losing the numbers on the scale yet, but I'm setting it up to be much healthier in the long run.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    adding the sodium tracker to my food diary was a HUGE eye opener to the cumulative amounts of 'hidden' sodium. (and I'd thought I was doing pretty decently managing salt before I'd added that tracker!)

Now? I have not picked up the salt shaker to add a single drop of salt since!
    I've been eating ONLY the sodium in the low sodium versions of things like canned broth and canned tomatoes without adding a single bit more.. and I have surprised myself with how little I am missing added salt since doing so!

I agree! I added the sodium tracker to my food diary also and it amazes me how much hidden sodium is in our food. I now check the sodium content before I eat anything and am very careful not to go over my limit.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    @fitfromy40th: the whole starvation mode thing isn't really all that back and white. my nutritionist refers to starvation mode as simply your body re-allocating limited calories so maybe you lose some hair or your nails grow slower while your body maintains more important functions (and yes i did lose hair although it is coming back now) but that you will continue to lose weight at a low calorie intake even if you don't eat your exercise calories. i personally have lost a lot of weight while not eating my exercise calories back. having said that, sometimes it does seem like when i plateau a little increasing both exercise and food a little can help move things in the right direction again. inevitably i do eat a little more when i exercise more. on the other hand, there are times i exercise less and eat less and that works too. hence, i don;t believe it is as back and white as some make it out to be...
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've learnt that finally being the 'right' weight by my husband's (Japanese) standards doesn't make him any nicer to me :frown: I never realised before how that was part of my motivation. Now I shall work harder not to comfort eat if he's horrible to me, so that I can stay my favourite weight, trying to forget that it's his too :mad:
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have learned that not all nutrients are created equal. For example carbs: white carbs are not a friendly nutrient, but the whole grain one and veggies are your best friend.
    Fat: Canola and vegetable oil will help you to stock on fat, but olive oil and others good fats (avocado, dark chocolate, olives, raw nuts/seeds and olive and sunflower oils) will help you to loose/burn fat!
    Protein: Red meat can make my cholesterol up to the sky, but salmon can help lower my cholesterol!!
    The only way for me to keep my soudium intake no higher than 2500 is to keep myself away from everything that is processed. I was so impressed of how much sodium processed food has!

Still trying to keep up with water intake and trying to decide if I should eat my exercise calories or not...
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is not your friend! (even though I had a tiny glass of red wine this evening)

Here's the scoop:

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent FAT STORAGE in the body.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am going to have good days and bad days. And that I must embrace them both because I have something to learn from both.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I learned that it is better (for me) to eat a larger breakfast, even if I have to use more calories to do it. If I fill up at breakfast, it's easier for me to stay satisfied throughout the day, but if I don't get full in the morning, I will feel hungry all day unless I go completely overboard with eating. Eating more calories in the morning helps me stay lower on calories for the whole day.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I learned that I don't like plain yogurt, but I do like hummus.

I haven't tried avocados yet...
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've learned to go with the flow, all my plans for a great weekend and busy week fell apart when I hurt my neck last Saturday, (not even a great story, I was sleeping and rolled over!)
    so, patience...and keep tracking because it really matters when you can't exercise.
    hopefully back to normal next week...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!