What the frick?!

Belle_Fille
Belle_Fille Posts: 469
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Before I got pregnant with my daughter I was about 175. Size 16 jeans. almost 4 years later I weigh 259. And am in a 20. Some 18s but not many- so well just say 20. thats only up 2 pant sizes isnt it? How is it that I am only up 2 pant sizes when that is a 85 pound gain??!!

The post about ladies sizes got me wondering this. I'm wanting to get down to 155-160. But its kind of discouraging when I think about it. I'll only be down 2-3 pant sizes when I achieve my goal! How is that possible?!

I'm 5'9. not that it makes a difference

Replies

• It's funny I was thinking sort of the same thing. I am 152ish now and I am a size 14. I guess it depends on where you carry your weight. There are people around my weight that wear much smaller sizes, but I carry all my weight in my thighs and my butt so even when I get to my goal weight I wonder if I'll even be at my goal size!!
  • If you went from a 16 to a 20 that's 4 sizes not 2 sizes? I'm just askin so I can give the right reply....
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    I don't think pant size determines success. What matters is how you feel in them. Every one has a different shape and carries their weight differently. That's what really determines pant size. Not the # scale. You could have 3 women the exact same weight and wear 3 different pant sizes. Just my opinion!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    i consider a 16 to a 20 to be two pant sizes. There are no size 17 or 19 pants, so I don't know why people always say that they lost four pant sizes.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    16 to 20 is 2 sizes b/c there is no 17 or 19 in misses..and in juniors there is no 16 or 18.

I know how you feel, I've noticed that in the 50 lbs I've lost I've went down 3 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes so far. I always heard people say 1 size equals about 10 lbs..so not true! lol. Just depends how you carry your weight and how you lose it though.
  • Before I got pregnant with my daughter I was about 175. Size 16 jeans. almost 4 years later I weigh 259. And am in a 20. Some 18s but not many- so well just say 20. thats only up 2 pant sizes isnt it? How is it that I am only up 2 pant sizes when that is a 85 pound gain??!!

The post about ladies sizes got me wondering this. I'm wanting to get down to 155-160. But its kind of discouraging when I think about it. I'll only be down 2-3 pant sizes when I achieve my goal! How is that possible?!

Think of it as a percentage thing... Someone itty bitty (let's use 120 lbs as a good, round number) - if she gains 10 lbs, she will likely go from a size 2 to a size 4. That 10 lbs is a greater percentage of her bodyweight, whereas someone my size (I'm currently at 231, and wear a 16 or an 18, depending on the brand) drops 10 lbs, and I won't change sizes at all. Heck, I'll barely notice!! lol When I lost 33 lbs last year (from my PEAK of 246, to 213), I went down one size in jeans (18 to 16), but mostly just noticed stuff fit better.

It's frustrating right now, yes, but long term, realize that the smaller you get, those same weight changes will have a bigger effect. :)
  • The variable dear is that we women have many different shapes and figures creating a major sizing challenge in so many ways. (if that makes any sense) For instance I'm a size 18/20 in jeans, but a lg/xlg in tops (if I had a smaller chest I'd be in an even smaller size up top). My point here is that our weight falls in many different areas in all of us. Some of us carry it in our waist, some in our legs, some in our hips/booty, etc etc etc. While ALL areas do gain some, we all have our problem areas and that is always a contributing factor to what sizes we wear.

When I weighed 135-140 I was in a tight size 12 jean!! Yet, my upper body looked tiny and my face like I was "too thin" if you asked others. Our bodies change so much it's hard to know where you will be. Just keep your head up and stay positive and know that you will make a difference, whether on the scale, in inches, or in sizes... it will happen!
  • If you went from a 16 to a 20 that's 4 sizes not 2 sizes? I'm just askin so I can give the right reply....

Nope, it's 2 sizes - 16... 18... 20....

FUNNY that you mention this though - you'll frequently hear this weight loss TV ads (for gyms and workouts): the people in the testimonials will SAY "I lost 8 dress sizes!" then it shows they went from an 18 to a 10. Now that's still a GREAT loss (if it's true), but they're counting 1, 2, 3... not actual dress size numbers, just to "boost" the results.
    im pretty sure there isnt a size 17, or a size 19. ive never seen them
  • Ummmm ok i got it .... Sorry..... Well i didnt loose any weight but I went from wearing a size 14 to a 9 ummmm i was wondering why this is ... But i never found the reason behind it but hey i wasnt complaining lol... Best of luck to ya....
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    This is so interesting to hear about! When I was at my highest at 195 I was a tight size 12, and now I am 160 and a loose size 10. When I was at my thinnest when I was like 14 years old and 125 pounds I was a size 8 because I naturally have a very curvy body...

Everyone is different and looses weight in different areas. Has your bra size changed, your shirt size, your dress size? All are factors included weight and body fat of course.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Before I got pregnant with my daughter I was about 175. Size 16 jeans. almost 4 years later I weigh 259. And am in a 20. Some 18s but not many- so well just say 20. thats only up 2 pant sizes isnt it? How is it that I am only up 2 pant sizes when that is a 85 pound gain??!!

I'm 5'9. not that it makes a difference

At 238 I'm still in a size 22! I haven't tried a size 20, so I guess take it with a grain of salt. But yeah...still wearing my 22's and they aren't falling off me.
  • Have you noticed a difference in the sizing of say, GAP 18s and Lane Bryant 18s? "Plus" size clothing (or "W" or "Women's") can be decieving because it is meant for a fuller figure. I can remember being an 18 in Lane Bryant jeans, but couldn't squeeze my butt in to GAP or Old Navy 18s to save my life. Just a thought...
  • This is so interesting to hear about! When I was at my highest at 195 I was a tight size 12, and now I am 160 and a loose size 10. When I was at my thinnest when I was like 14 years old and 125 pounds I was a size 8 because I naturally have a very curvy body...

Everyone is different and looses weight in different areas. Has your bra size changed, your shirt size, your dress size? All are factors included weight and body fat of course.
    before pregnancy i was a c. during and after i had my 1st child i became a DD, and have stayed in a DD through my 2nd pregnancy, and post pregnancy. I went from a L/XL to a XXL
  • So this is totally random and not related to your post (sorry). I was just:

A. Love your healthy (but not boring) blog. I started following you AND

B. Is that a picture of YOU getting thinner on your ticker? If so, where did you get that? It's awesome!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    I don't think pant size determines success. What matters is how you feel in them. Every one has a different shape and carries their weight differently. That's what really determines pant size. Not the # scale. You could have 3 women the exact same weight and wear 3 different pant sizes. Just my opinion!

I totally agree! I love wearing anew pants size but I don't use it to determine my success. I have 3 different sizes in my closet. 16, 18 and 20. I wear them all. My one pair of 16s feel great but i can't even get some of my 18's zipped. Clothes are made differently by different companies and different materials make a difference too. I'm currently 5," 230lbs
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    That's such a tough question because I was wondering that myself. I've only lost 5 pounds since moving to massachusetts but have gone from a 16 to a 12. I think we gain muscle and that makes a difference. I also carry a lot of my weight in a Jlo like booty!
  • Have you noticed a difference in the sizing of say, GAP 18s and Lane Bryant 18s? "Plus" size clothing (or "W" or "Women's") can be decieving because it is meant for a fuller figure. I can remember being an 18 in Lane Bryant jeans, but couldn't squeeze my butt in to GAP or Old Navy 18s to save my life. Just a thought...
    no. ive never bought either of those brands. i just shop wal mart. ive never found any name brands that have ever even carried my sizes
    never mind i see who you are referring to now
  • So this is totally random and not related to your post (sorry). I was just:

A. Love your healthy (but not boring) blog. I started following you AND

B. Is that a picture of YOU getting thinner on your ticker? If so, where did you get that? It's awesome!
    im confused. I don't have a blog and the picture in my ticker is my children.
    \
    never mind i see who you are talking about now.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    I am currently 146 and am 5'2 I am wearing a size 10 in jeans and it varies by where they are from. I have tried to not get so caught up on what the size of my pants or what my weight is and more about how I feel when I look in the mirror... But it is an extremely hard battle.
This discussion has been closed.