Weight Loss vs. Muscle Gain?

Options
Is it possible to be losing fat but gaining muscle faster than i lose the fat? I have been pretty good at being under my calories for the past week. I also seem to be gaining weight now. I took my measurements six days ago when i started working out but i wanted to get to day 14 or 15 of my workout program before i measure again. I don't want to get discouraged so i am going to stick with it for at least 30 days before giving up without seeing results. Is it possible that i'm not eating enough or that i'm eating too much. I don't know. Any help or comments will be helpful. Oh and btw i am doing cardio one day and then strength training the next. I know i am pushing myself very hard to be doing 15 full form push-ups every other day as well as 100 crunches every other day. I just don't know what to think. It is normal when starting a work-out program to gain weight at first. Oh and if anyone is familiar i am doing The orginal Power 90.

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well muscle weighs more then fat. It is also more dense then fat. So it is possible you are not showing a weight loss because you are gaining muscle. If this is true then you should see a loss in your measurements.
  • melody6387
    Options
    hmmmm..this one is hard... What are you eating... I noticed that SUGAR is my downfall... I can be under my calories everyday and my SUGAR is always in the "RED". Or maybe you're just gaining muscle and soon it'll start eating that fat. Anywho... Good luck to ya... Are u doing the p90X?
  • padigirl
    Options
    Meep Meep Bump :flowerforyou:
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    No just Power 90. I have been doing it on and off for a while but just haven't stuck to it. I told myself that i gotta stick to if if i plan to see results but now i'm going in the other direction. I am usually over my sugar but i think MPF's sugar limit is very low. I get to talk to my doctor in a couple of weeks so i was really excited to lose more weight before i saw her. I just don't understand why the scale is going backwards when i'm working out and under my calories.

Edited to add. Most of my sugar intake is Fruits! like at least half to three quarters of my intake per day is from fruits.
  • melody6387
    Options
    Very interested to see what she says... Sound like you're doing everything right... Keep me posted... but I definitely would not give up. :happy:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    It is theoretically possible, but it would be difficult. Without knowing a lot more I can't comment too much, but you might want to stop adding your exercise calories on. I don't know how you are calculating those, but your profile makes it look like you have a lot to lose, so you have more flexibility as to how low your calories can be. I know in losing the weight I did my fat mass went down more than the total weight I lost because I put on muscle at the same time. I however, did not gain weight I lost. Since you are much younger than my you can put on muscle quicker than I can, so, as I said, it is theoretically possible.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Not unless your on steroids IMO.

I would be tracking sodium. It would most likely be water weight especially if you are new to exercise.

A couple of things I would say:
    no calories from drinks
    try and get some protein and something with a bit of fibre in each meal.
    I personally limit fruits because of the sugar content. Prefer veggies.
    Stick to unprocessed carbs (usually low gi)

Stick with it and you will see results.

Remember, to take measurements and not just rely on the number on the scale.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Not unless your on steroids IMO.

I would be tracking sodium. It would most likely be water weight especially if you are new to exercise.

A couple of things I would say:
    no calories from drinks
    try and get some protein and something with a bit of fibre in each meal.
    I personally limit fruits because of the sugar content. Prefer veggies.
    Stick to unprocessed carbs (usually low gi)

Stick with it and you will see results.

Remember, to take measurements and not just rely on the number on the scale.

Right! You probably are just activating muscle that has lain dormant for a while, which means you're adding water/glycogen mix to your frame, which may look like muscle gain but it isn't. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it's good actually. Most people won't begin to build muscle mass until about 6 to 8 weeks into a weight training program. You can gain up to 15 lbs in water/glycogen before it even's out.

And know that a 30 day program won't do anything for you really. 8 weeks is about the minimum I'd recommend, but generally any weight training regimen I give is between 3 months and 6 months long depending on the goals.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    You could also not be consuming enough calories for your body to sustain the physical activity, so your body is entering conserve mode. Ive seen many people on here comment that you should try to eat very close to your goal net calorie because of this reason.

Building muscle is also a possibility. Every time I've began working out in the past...without dieting....I gained a few pounds, but I toned up.