Extra skin?

Options
How much weight do you have to lose before you have extra skin? Is there anyway to prevent this? Should I do certain exercises to make sure this doesn't happen?

Replies

• Meganne1982
    Options
    A lot of factors go into whether or not you'll have an extra skin problem and at what point in your weight loss. My highest weight was really high- I weighed 320, and I had gained a lot of that really fast, I'd gone from 220 to 320 in like 8 months. Gaining so fast really stretched out my skin. So early into my weight loss I saw that excess skin was going to be a problem. When I got down to 160 I could pull my belly skin almost a foot out. My skin hung over my belly button. It was super gross. I have since had a tummy tuck, as well as bracheoplastic (removing skin from upper arms) But, I have known people who lost about the same amount of weight but did not have an extra skin problem because their skin had more elasticity. So, really only you can tell when extra skin's a problem.
    Hope that sheds a little light!

:)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about how much weight it takes to get loose skin, but I think the reason many have this problem is when they lose it really quickly.
    If you lose the weight at a sensible pace and make sure to include exercise on a regular basis, not just diet you should find it shouldn't be that much :) I'd also make sure you're getting some form of strength training in your workouts too, this helps tremendously in helping to tone up and create a bit of muscle.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your age and your particular skin type. Seeing that you are only 19 years old I imagine you skin is still fairly resilient and should spring back to shape, hugging your body as you lose. Folks who lose a massive amount of weight can see the issue because their skin may have been stretched out for a long period of time and it is not resilient and damaged. Other reasons to have the extra skin can be surgery like a c-section. I have had c-section flap from how I healed and how the fat stayed in that area. I've been told the only way I can remedy it is to have a tummy tuck. My only advice is to drink water, moisturize and if you are at all worried you can also wear compression clothing. They usually make people who have liposuction or tummy tucks to wear the compression clothing/gear so it all stays tight as you heal and your skin settles in properly. I imagine it could only help.