Baking

Options
I can usually go without too much sugar cravings (and honestly I'm more of a cooker than a baker) but the past few days I've really had a craving for something baked.
zucchini bread or oatmeal cookies or muffins - but they are just wasted calories that don't fill you in the slightest.

But when it's -20 degrees outside and you've been shovelling snow etc there's something to be said for a homemade oatmeal raisin cookie...

anyone have suggestions of recipes on the healthier side of the world but still taste just as delish?

The good thing is my entire life i've had the odd ability that once I eat one or two I don't need the rest of the batch - I take them to the people at work and they enjoy the rest of them.

Suggestions anyone??

Replies

• dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I found a recipe on food.com for breakfast cookies. The list is long, you just have to find the one you'd like. I modified a few ingredients like using whole wheat flour and fiber packed cereal. They were delicious! Just like oatmeal cookies (we don't like raisins). Even the kids approved.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I haven't tried it, yet...but hungry girl has a recipe and I've loved everything I've tried so far. I am hoping to try the cookies soon. :love:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1187
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    coconut flour chocolate chip banana bread

1 cup coconut flour
    3 super ripe bananas
    6 eggs
    1/2 cup organic cinnamon applesauce
    1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
    1/2 tbsp nutmeg
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp baking powder

Mix, pour into baking ware of choice, bake at 350 for 40-45 mins.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I usually replace unbleached flour with wheat, use splenda instead of sugar and egg whites instead of whole eggs. Sadly, I haven't found a good substitute for butter yet though. I've tried many but nothing makes a cookie quite the same as butter * sigh* lol
  • mdebaere865
    Options
    These Brownies are actually really really good. I thought it was a joke when my step mom made them. Then she told me they were made from BLACK BEANS! I couldn't believe it! It's in Rocco DiSpirito's, "Now Eat This!" Cookbook.

Ingredients
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1½ cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon espresso powder
    ¾ cup egg substitute
    2 tablespoons low-calorie sugar-free chocolate syrup, such as Walden Farms
    2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, such as Breakstone's
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    24 packets (84 g) Truvia or 8 tablespoons granulated Splenda
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Cooking Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
    Combine the beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and egg substitute in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through.
    Add the chocolate syrup, sour cream, butter, Truvia, and vanilla. Process until all of the ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.
    Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the baking time. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with soft batter clinging to it.
    Let the brownies cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack. Then cut into 12 squares and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.
    NOW YOU CAN EAT THIS!
    Before 70 g fat 1500 cals After 1.6 g fat 53 cals
    Protein: 4g | Carbohydrates: 8g | Cholesterol: 4mg
    Fiber: 3g| Sodium: 94mg
  • mdebaere865
    Options
    Oh and I didn't use the espresso power when I made it and it was so much better.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Look for an apple crisp recipe.. usually does it for me. Even an apple sliced, nuked for ten seconds with a tsp or two of brown sugar will take the edge off.
  • tashajasmine
    tashajasmine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just make the cookies the way you want too!! You won't really be satisfied unless you get the cookies you want. It isn't like you eat them everyday. To have a cookie or two once in a while won't make or break your progress.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I usually replace unbleached flour with wheat, use splenda instead of sugar and egg whites instead of whole eggs. Sadly, I haven't found a good substitute for butter yet though. I've tried many but nothing makes a cookie quite the same as butter * sigh* lol

You should try coconut oil? I've only used it once because the recipe called especially for it but it turned out really well and on the side of the jar it says it's a substitute for butter. It is pretty pricey though..eek
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options

Applesauce. I use it instead of oils sometimes (and it gives new flavor). Why are you trying to do away with butter? Good quality, pastured butter (where the only ingredient is milk) is good for you.
  • lvgraff
    Options
    For my sweet tooth I normally eat a square of dark chocolate. (65-75% by Lindt is the best) I know that it is not warm, but it is quick and yummy.

You can also look into making recipes from a GI cookbook. I like these recipes because I don't like to eat things that aren't super natural. Here is just one website: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/recipes/ I really like Rachael Anne Hill's book GI high-energy cookbook, the recipes are super easy and delicious and she includes the calories, fat, protein, and carbs for each recipe.