Question about calories and TOM

Options
I have a question for all the ladies out there, and any guys that have an answer as well! Does anyone know if perhaps we need more calories during that time of the month? I just got mine, and I feel like the calories just arent doing it today, and I'm just exhausted. Any ideas as to if perhaps I need to eat more during this time to help my body deal, or if there are better foods to eat to help??

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need more cals, but you may be deficient in iron. Try taking an iron supplement or multivitamin (as directed - too much iron isn't good either) or ask your doc about it.
  • LosingTheInches
    Options
    i found this
    "A few days before and during the time you are menstruating, you do burn more calories due to the additional cellular activity taking place internally. Some female metabolisms may increase up to 15% during this time due to hormonal changes and loss of blood. The increase in metabolism can lead to an increase in appetite in order to compensate for the greater calorie burn (in the same manner that as exercise can lead to an increase in hunger), which is why some women tend to eat more or crave different foods during this time of the month. Cravings can also be caused by the hormonal changes that affect taste or thought processes. Additionally, certain foods can help sooth difficult times, thus leading to different or unusual food choices."
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good question...I get so hungry right before and lose my appetite during.
  • ChrissyBlack
    Options
    EAT!!!! Don't go crazy but every now and then it's okay to give in. That time on the month you need more iron maybe even a good multi vitamin would also help.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some green tea with lemon in it :) It'll make you feel more full, plus the lemon will help with the bloating/water weight. I also just read that adding lemon helps the body absorb 13 times as much antioxidants than drinking the green tea by itself!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Definitely need more water..
  • teramae
    teramae Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need more cals, but you may be deficient in iron. Try taking an iron supplement or multivitamin (as directed - too much iron isn't good either) or ask your doc about it.

That's what I do...multi with iron during TOM, multi without iron the rest of the month. Got the idea when i learned that some birth control pills have iron in the pills you take while you are on your period (the inactive pills).
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do eat more when on my cycle but when I stop, I seem to lose some weight after. Urghh I hate the cycle. I try to drink more liquids and eat smaller portions but eat like 5-6x a day. my portions are small..sorta like a snack and in my mind i think im eathing more...lol...

:)
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    if u have an iron deficiancy...may I suggest a small glass of molasses and skim milk in the morning (kinda like hershey's syrup and milk...only it's not chocolate, but still yummy) or a thin layer of molasses on multi grain toast. That works too.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Good question...I get so hungry right before and lose my appetite during.

I lose my appetite during mine too, i definitely try and get a full 8 cups of water, and keep my salt intake to a minimum in order to beat the bloat.