A small rant about sabotage and stupidity

Options
Ok so I told some of my friends about my plan to get healthy by eating right and exercising. A little bit later we went shopping and on the way home they decided to go to McDonalds to get McFlurries (..really guys.. did you not hear me when I said I wanted to get healthy!) I refused to get one, then one of the guys got a heaping spoonful and shoved it in my face saying just have one bite. I still said no and to get out of my face with the damn ice cream! Then one of my other friends decided he didn't want his anymore and told me to hold it cause he didn't want to (yes, really...) I had to put it in the cup holder so I wasn't touching it or thinking about it. Later I get back to school, Im in college and living in the dorms, and my entire hallway smells like burnt popcorn... (Did you really not know you had to take off the plastic before you put it in the microwave?!)
So now Im sitting here, can't sleep cause of the smell of popcorn with my tummy telling me to eat eat eat... What would you do? Id love some more friends on here that understand the getting healthy decisions!

Replies

• NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I fell you all my suitemates know im dieting and want me to order chinese with them. You can't make them understand, you can only fight the urge and maybe eat some carrots or something else healthy instead.
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think you should tell your friends to get behind you or get bent. :)

Also, when my stomach is growling like that I tend to eat something. You could probably have a snack - it's just a matter of making a good decision about what kind of snack. Food aromas (enticing or otherwise) are a challenge! I walk past a bakery on my way to work every morning.. geez! Bakery food is my major weakness.

Hang in there.

Cheers,
    Jo

ps. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • juleslianne
    Options
    You have will power, at least you know that! Haha, but I would say find something to occupy your attention. I find that if all I can think about is food but I'm not really hungry, the best thing to do is distract yourself, or better yet, exercise! Go for a walk to get your mind off of the food! Drink some water! If you are really hungry, try to eat something with a lot of volume but low calorie: rice cakes are good and fruit is yummy :). Just some stuff I've picked up, hope it helps!
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    It seems that most people on here have the same problem. My family isn't supporting me and they by all of this horrible stuff and wonder why I keep asking for money to go to the grocery store. I would've knocked the McFlurry out of their hands. Eff that mess. Good for you to have such willpower!!!
  • krishkake
    Options
    I've noticed that too. Every person I've told has tried to force-feed me within 2 days of me telling them. I don't understand it.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Good job resisting those idiots. Look at it this way, throughout your journey you will be facing a lot of temptation, every time you say no you are strenghtening your willpower. As for the popcorn, its a decent snack and filling, go ahead!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    You know when it's late at night and you're up and thinking I need something it may even just be the hand to mouth thing like I struggled with for so long, I make myself a cup of hot tea! Tea has been my best friend, it relaxes me and at the same time it curbs that late night monster that screams in my head. If you just have to snack i'd keep around healthy choices like almonds if you don't have allergies and next time friends want to be insensitive with the McDonalds grab an herbal tea that's what I do when my kids just HAveeeeeeeeee to get that junk. and that's what I feel about fast food now. Never thought i'd ever see the day. As you see yourself change that motivation will ease the struggle. Be encouraged and keep coming here where you know you get the love you need and the support. The temptation lasts alot longer than you beating yourself up and feeling discouraged. Hang in there. hugs
  • elfie9863
    Options
    Just rise above it...I imagine it will just be that way for many people. Your situation really lends itself to that sort of thing, Maybe if you just hold fast, don't get unglued over it, and forge ahead, EVENTUALLY they will get the message. What I would do.
  • midmomike2
    Options
    It's hard especially with negative pressure. Just stay focused on your goals and what it will mean for you to reach them. Make you a priority ! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I think you should tell your friends to get behind you or get bent. :)

I think this is a FABULOUS idea! Hang in there, girl! You're doing something good for yourself. And next time...tell the little turd to hold his OWN McFlurry! :noway:
  • KatieJoDunlap
    KatieJoDunlap Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always keep this in mind! Some people will Never understand. Those who dont cae about there health or have never dieted will not know what it is like to say no to food. Others unfortunitly will offer food to see you fail. They do this becuase they feel bad about themselfs and want you to stay on that level with them. I think this action is something that they do without even knowing. Be strong!! It gets easier everyday and I use my sabotagers as motivation. I love a challange.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hell with that. Do like I do, throw that *kitten* out the window. Trying to tease me, what?!? I wish one of my friends would try something like this on me. Wait, crap... sorry I think I had a flashback.:explode:

Anyway, you are going to be tempted each and everyday. Unfortunately, it starts with you. Be strong, and know that it will get easier as time goes on.

But, I bet if you would have tossed one of those McFlurries out of the window, they would have learned a valuable lesson.:laugh:
  • heb14
    heb14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hope you're friends aren't like a lot of my friends. When I started to lose weight and get healthy, mine did the same thing. I was one of the big, funny girls in my group beforehand, and after I started losing weight, I was taking attention away from them. Certain friends of mine tried to sabotage me to keep me down...... Which is why we're no longer friends and I've lost an extra 30 pounds :) Sometimes, you're better off without 'em.
  • lisapisa1
    Options
    Knowing what you can eat helps too. So even though a McFlurry is out of the question, getting a small vanilla ice cream cone is only 150 calories since they use reduced fat ice cream by default. The McD's apple dippers have low-fat caramel dip so they are only 100 calories. This allows you to "indulge" in dessert with your friends but still stick to your goals. I hate it when I don't feel included in "group" activities even when it comes to eating, so I just try to stay informed of healthier alternatives.

I do agree though, your friends sound like a group of a-holes and shouldn't have pressured you like that.
  • misskelly121
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glad to know Im not crazy by being upset with them about the McFlurries! And I don't know where that will power came from, I usually crack under pressure. :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    But, I bet if you would have tossed one of those McFlurries out of the window, they would have learned a valuable lesson.:laugh:
    [/quote]

YUP!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

YUP!

Then tell your friend that his dessert has been McTossed. Rotfl!

Seriously, it must be standard for all friends to do that. Shove food in your face and try to get you to eat it. Then when you curse them out they look at you with pitiful eyes and act hurt.
  • misskelly121
    Options
    Haha! Thanks for some good laughs!! I agree, I find that friends are always trying to side track my progress.. well not this time! Glad to have such good support on here! New friends with similar goals are always helpful.
  • Cruzita
    Options
    Stay strong Miss Kelly! Get healthy! We have people in our lives that are our friends but doen't realize the damage they do when they throw that temptation in our faces. They are your friends, just not bright ones. :wink:
  • LeanAndGreen
    Options
    Miss Kelly- Good job for sticking to your guns! I would have been pissed about the McFlurries too. College is definitely not the most healthy of times so it's easy for other people to use you as a mark to tease or annoy because you're being "healthy" or "good." Stay strong in your goals and know that you are doing what you're doing for you, no one else! Hopefully your friends will come around and even jump on your bandwagon. If they don't, know that you have plenty of support here and that we're rooting for you! :)