Serious topic Help protect Victims rights

Options
((Wasn't sure where to put this really...it isn't a funny thing at all, but I am sure there will be alot of chit-chat and it affects men, and women alike because even if you aren't a victim there are good odds that you know a victim or will know one unfortunately and their rights should be protected.))

Hi,

I just heard about a horrible GOP bill that could redefine rape and
set women's rights back by decades.

Here's the deal: Right now, federal dollars can't be used for abortion
except in cases of rape, incest, or when the woman's life is in danger.
But the bill, introduced by Republican congressman Chris Smith, would
narrow that use to "cases of 'forcible' rape but not statutory or coerced
rape."

As far too many women know, bruises and broken bones do not define rape -
a lack of consent does. This bill is scary - so I signed a petition
telling Congress to stand up and oppose the bill. Can you join me at the
link below?

http://pol.moveon.org/smithbill/?rc=fb.share.smithbill.1.2.taf.alt.fb.share.smithbill.0.2.taf.alt_b.fb.share.smithbill.2.2.taf.alt_b.tw

Thanks.

References

Visible links
. http://pol.moveon.org/smithbill/?r_by=&rc=comment_mailto.fb.share.smithbill.1.2.taf.alt.fb.share.smithbill.0.2.taf.alt_b.fb.share.smithbill.2.2.taf.alt_b.tw

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Wow, it disgusts me that that bill is even being considered. If I was American I would totally sign, but I'm not. I just wanna say that I think it's awesome that you're standing up against it, and that you posted it on here for hundreds of others to see.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Wow, it disgusts me that that bill is even being considered. If I was American I would totally sign, but I'm not. I just wanna say that I think it's awesome that you're standing up against it, and that you posted it on here for hundreds of others to see.

yeah i hope so, voices need to be heard on this one.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm a registered Republican but this sickens me. I will definitely sign the petition and alert friends and family about this too.
  • Seesaa
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm a registered Republican but this sickens me. I will definitely sign the petition and alert friends and family about this too.

thanks for the support.
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the news article from the link below. Basically, after pressures from womens groups the House has dropped the wording "forceable rape" from the wording of the bill and replace it with the same wording used in the Hyde Amendment.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/report-republicans-give-up-on-forcible-rape.php
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Canadian here, but survivor of multiple rapes (by people I knew)... I can't sign the petition, but I thank you immensely for posting this.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Signed and very much against this bill. I think that here in PA they still have the law where a woman cant harm her attacker. I would have no hesitation to defend myself. The only thing I have thats mine is my body and I will protect it by any means possible.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Signed and passed on to my friends.
    I think that here in PA they still have the law where a woman cant harm her attacker. I would have no hesitation to defend myself.

Seriously? That's absolutely disgusting! :angry:
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I think that here in PA they still have the law where a woman cant harm her attacker. I would have no hesitation to defend myself.

Dead serious. I am not sure if it still stands but theres NO way I would let someone hurt me. I was raised in a pro gun household and would not hesitiate to "prove" it to someone who wanted to violate me
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options

Dead serious. I am not sure if it still stands but theres NO way I would let someone hurt me. I was raised in a pro gun household and would not hesitiate to "prove" it to someone who wanted to violate me

Y'know, one thing my brother taught me, was how to throw a right hook that could break a man's jaw. I did just that at age 15, and saved myself assault by a man 4 years older than me. Wasn't quite so lucky the other times...
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I posted the link to the petition on my FB account yesterday. Good idea posting here too.
  • FitJoani
    Options

Y'know, one thing my brother taught me, was how to throw a right hook that could break a man's jaw. I did just that at age 15, and saved myself assault by a man 4 years older than me. Wasn't quite so lucky the other times...
    as much as I hate my ex he taught me some moves that would get me out of a bind and put a serious hurting on a man if not his death(we are going beyond basic moves like crotch kicks and what not)
  • Seesaa
    Options
    I did see the post about changing the wording, but that does not make it any better and perhaps is even more insulting and disgusting then before. I just don't understand how these people can not only stop progress, but move it back by decades and make the world even more dangerous potentially.

It is upsetting and everyone should be heard on the subject..