Need help finding the right exercises !!!!

Options
pennywise
pennywise Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, just joined today. Been on a low cal diet for 2 weeks and I've lost 8 pounds. Now I would like to add exercise to that but I have no idea where to start with the exercises. I was hoping there would be examples of exercise programs on here. BTW, I sit at a desk ALL DAY and get very little exercise right now so I need to start off slow I think.

Anyone have any tips or ideas or exercises they can recommend??

Thanks, Pennywise

Replies

• ashleythatcher
    Options
    pennywise wrote:
    Hi, just joined today. Been on a low cal diet for 2 weeks and I've lost 8 pounds. Now I would like to add exercise to that but I have no idea where to start with the exercises. I was hoping there would be examples of exercise programs on here. BTW, I sit at a desk ALL DAY and get very little exercise right now so I need to start off slow I think.

Anyone have any tips or ideas or exercises they can recommend??

Thanks, Pennywise

I sit at the desk all day long so I understand it's hard finding sometime in the day for any type of work out.

I don't know your surroundings , but I have a local gym minutes away, so I used my lunch break for a 40 minute work out . If it's a day when I can't get out for long I walk the office pakring lot or the sidewalks near by.
  • cheguevara
    Options
    In the end it does not really matter what you do to start, just do it. Walk lots, drink lots of water, and branch out from there.
  • suzannehusted
    suzannehusted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started this logging in program, but i have started my exercise 10 weeks before. I am taking care of an disabled son, and my day can be pretty busy. I have found that I do situps at night, after I lay the kids down for the night. I do squats when I am cooking dinner. I have also been known to walk up and down the stairs 20 times up 20 times down. I also have been known to walk fastly around my couch for 15 mins. Be creative, anything that gets your heart rate up is good. My kids think that mommy is funny because of some of the creative things I come up with. I also clean house at a really fast pace to see how fast I can get things done. The faster the better. Best of luck, and I hope this helped.
  • sarah_070
    sarah_070 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hello i have lost 12 pounds by usuing the biggest loser video tape at home. I got it a wall mart and really liked it.
  • Jansgoal
    Jansgoal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi All!! I put my ablounger in the tv room and that is my chair so I find myself doing the exercise while I watch TV. Little thing can make a big difference
  • rm79weaver
    Options
    I like everyones ideas about starting off by just walking. I feel like everything I do is a challenge because I need to lose so much weight (105#) but I know I have to keep trying.

I have a really bad time with my legs & ankles swelling.

Is bicycling a good exercise if you are really heavy or would walking be better?

Good luck to everyone - I would love to hear from others who also need to lose a larger amount of weight.

Thanks.

Gracie1979.
  • jaceygr
    jaceygr Posts: 1
    Options
    I just Joined 3 days ago. I have found out that there is a variety of exercises if you have Ondemand with comcast. I love the Dance routines and the 21 minute ab workout. I can do it any time I want and I can to do it in the privacy of my own home. Its better then a membership because you can pause it and take it at your own pace and there are so many different skill levels so you can push your self too.
  • ragsrulz
    ragsrulz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    the secret with sticking with an exercise program is to find something you love...such as dancing...
    do you like walking? or does walking make your knees, back, or hips hurt? do you walk simply cause you think you cannot do anything else?

I am a PT by profession, so exercise is my first love...however, I cannot walk as an exercise regime due to an accident several years ago that left me disabled. (I used to run and bike...) I can walk...but not as an exercise....I love to swim...so I swim..and swim and swim and swim...while I am in the water I am pain free.
    I am not on the board of the YMCA or anything...but if you like to exercise and like to swim, or do water aerobics, try the Y....they are affordable....they have programs for those who cannot afford it...I find it to be very exciting...I did not know this until I joined, because my insurance pays for it...and found out they have financial assistance....here, a family costs 58 dollars a month...for unlimited usage of the Y and its facilites....so, just a thought.....
    I love the Y, swim every day...
    water aerobics are a great alternative to other exercises if you are heavy and have physical limitations.....
  • Gemma10
    Gemma10 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey I have just joined today.
    I was doing a diet for 2 and half months and only loss a few pounds. It was really stricked and I just couldn't stick to it as I wasn't getting results. It was a bit soul destroying to be honest.
    So I have decided that Exercise is the way forward. I will still watch what I am eating. I'm going to try the GI diet but use it as a life style change and make better choices.

So I just need to find exercise that I will stick to and enjoy. I use to go to the gym but I'd prefer to do something a bit more sociable!

I'm gonna go to a salsa class but want to start swimming again. Any motivational tips?

Gemma
  • ragsrulz
    ragsrulz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    the only motivation I need for swimming is to simply get inthe water......

It is my nirvana.....

again, I mention the Y, cause they keep the water temp at 84, which is great for my bones and muscles (even tho I am only 29 ...(insert nose growing face) )

And...swimming uses ALL muscles.....which burns MORE calories......

motivation enough????

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.