Lessons learned from a "cheat meal"

Options
2»

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    LOL, love it, what a great attitude and great story. More people should read this, I hear way to much, boo whoo, I've cheated and now I'm thinking is it worth it to go on.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days once a week sometimes it just maybe a turtle sundae:) or it maybe dinner and the sundae:) but you can't keep yourself from the foods you like occasionally. So don't feel bad. Just let it be maybe once a month. Your going to have ups and downs throughout the process.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I appreciate your post. I was actually contemplating a "cheat day". Ummmm, maybe not. :noway: Thanks.

yup. I learned my lesson on my anniversary at raising canes... never ever again. I stick to what i KNOW stays within my caloric intake. ;)
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, I go through this alot
    because at some point on the weekend we
    eat out. Its always a balance act and then try
    to log the calories when you get home is a
    nightmare. I feel your pain. We do well
    with our exercise and eating during the week
    and then the weekend comes around and I
    have to plan ahead what to eat.
    Inevitably, I am up the scale the next day.
    Good Luck and I am sure you taught yourself
    a valuable lesson.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a cheat day yet, one coming up on 19/2 as it will be my son's 21st family celebration meal at an indian restaurant....looking forward to it, will enjoy it and came back the following day, not going to stress at all.:bigsmile:
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Button for "day blown to hell". LOL!!! Yeah, that would be helpful, huh?
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    LOL!!
  • sbracken
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I LOVE having a free day planned into my week. I don't feel any amount of guilt about all the "naughty" foods I'm shoveling into my mouth all day. Then I don't worry about the scale for the next 3-4 days knowing I'll have gained mostly water weight because of all the excess. My last free day I more than doubled my usual calorie intake...and that included 3 beers and a glass of wine, McDonald's and pepperoni pizza! Yum-O!!! The weight I gained was gone by Wed. morning...along with another 0.2lbs, and 1.4lbs the next morning because I went right back to the plan on Sunday morning. And it's easier to overcome those during-the-week temptations because I know come Saturday (Sunday this week for the Super Bowl) I can have whatever I want! And it keeps my body guessing so I don't end up reaching that dreaded plateau in my journey. The longer you're on a calorie restriction, the more likely your body will begin to adapt to taking in that lower calorie amount and your weight loss will stall.

Now, I don't think a free day is for everyone. You have to have the willpower to jump right back in the next morning and not let it snowball into a day or two or three or week food orgy that derails your progress all together and you end up quitting. And you also have to have the right mind-set so you don't feel quilty about eating all that junk.

But for me personally, I LOVE it!!!!! And I wouldn't give it up for the world.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is a great way to show yourself just how bad you used to eat. Even when you think you are going with a healthier option at a restaurant, they still seem to pack it with extra cals and sodium that you don't want. But don't sweat it, it will only serve to reinforce the positive changes you are making :happy:
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I'd have to agree with mcope about letting this get to you so much. Also, I have a bit of a problem with calling things "cheat meals," or God forbid "cheat days." This just reinforces the fact that one is on a "diet" and it is all about restriction and deprivation. This is the biggest mistake of all. Learning to love healthy food (as opposed to "missing" "cheat" or "forbidden" foods) will help much more in the long run. There's no reason one can't work a sensible BarBQue meal (or any other foods) in a good eating plan every now and then.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    You sound like my husband. Once he gets started he just keeps on rolling. Just last week he had his 500 calorie deficit Mon-Thurs. On Friday he was over by 200 calories. THis is in addition to his 1300 calories he burned exercising and playing basketball for a couple of hours. He finished the day with 10 home made chocolate chip cookies. He said he had already messed up so he was just going to enjoy himself. I told him he had undid his 500 calorie deficit for the whole week in one day. He got mad and said I act like he's fat or something. He only wants to lose 7 pounds. But, agreed those cheat meals can cause a downward spiral.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Amen. I have an omelet with hashbrowns every Friday. I don't feel guilty and I don't feel like I am cheating. This meal alleviates many of my usual morning snacks because I am actually full and I still finish under my calorie goal. This is a lifestyle change and I will not deprive myself of everything for the rest of my life. I believe in moderation.
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So sorry but . . . I am crying from laughing so much. That is a great post, I've been there and it is no fun. Thanks for sharing. It will help us all remember to be very careful when we are already hungry and go out to eat.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    LOL! It sucks that it is so easy to GAIN than to lose weight. Too bad we cannot make up for a cheat day by just eating celery all the following day.
  • Griffin90
    Griffin90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Will be going to Denver for a conference next week and have to take some clients out to dinner. Based on this topic I did some research and it looks like this meal, no matter how careful I am, will use up my daily calorie goal and then some. I may just decide to eat half of the servings to try an soften the impact. Looks like a lot of exercise in the morning.