Need advice about family visiting

Options
My wonderful sister and niece are visiting this week. It is partially to help me with my three-month-old daughter. Both my sister and my five-year-old niece eat very unhealthily. My sister has struggled with her weight and health all of her life and I'm afraid her daughter is following in her footsteps. She knows my position on it, though, and preaching doesn't help. Okay.

The problem is that they are staying in our house for a week. All of the processed, calorie-dense crap that I keep out of the house - sodas, chips, cookies, etc - will come with them. The healthy meals my husband and I make of fish, beans, veggies, and whole wheat products will be labeled "gross." We will have to go out to eat because my neice won't anything that's not fried. My husband and I don't really enjoy eating out and don't have the money for it, either.

I will get guilt trips for leaving them to go to the gym every day. When I suggest a walk to the park or down a nature trail, my sister will say she wants to nap and to go without her. My niece will start to complain within five minutes that she's tired.

I'm not so worried about gaining weight myself. I have learned to have good willpower around my family. I just do not look forward to having them turn their noses up at every yummy meal I eat and having to watch my beautiful niece eat crap that's not good for her. I know that all I can do is provide a good example for them but I am concerned this visit will lead to lots of stress that I don't need.

Any suggestions about how to handle this? One thing I am considering is healthy alternatives to stuff they eat. I plan to make whole wheat pancakes one morning and may have some homemade baked treats that are not processed and lower in calories. I can make whole wheat spaghetti and sauce with lots of veggies hidden in it. Other ideas?

Sorry about the long rant! :)

Replies

• mixmastermolly
    Options
    Definitely find some healthier options to their unhealthy options. Don't tell them what's in it so they can't turn their nose up as easily. Adding fresh fruit to things like whole wheat pancakes make it a lot tastier for kids. If they want to go out to eat, don't go. You have a 3 month old and should be able to say that you don't want to take the baby out to a restaurant. If going to the gym is a big problem (which it shouldn't be if she's coming to help with the baby) then maybe swap working out at the gym for in-home workout DVDs for this week that you can do when everyone is napping or in bed for the night.

As for your niece, it's very disappointing to see kids learn unhealthy eating habits. I've always fed my son healthy, fresh food and he actually prefers it to any articificial flavors. He usually makes a yucky face when he eats something full of sugar and artificial stuff. I have plenty of friends who don't feed their children this way and it grosses me out. BUT, they are their kids and there isn't much we can do but offer healthier options when they are with us. Awhile ago my son and I went to a birthday party for my friend's son. They had "punch" to drink and my son spit it out. Haha. I almost always pack some snacks and drinks for him in situations like that. I think the best option is to go shopping for some healthier versions of the things your niece likes and try to offer them to her. She may not like them now that she is used to those flavors but at least throughout her life you'll give her those options and that knowledge.

We don't really eat meat so rather than giving my son chicken nuggets sometimes I'll still give him, "chick'n nuggets" which are actually not meat at all but vegetarian. They're still processed and not great but when kids are around who only like food like that sometimes it's a better option than giving them the stuff that is full of fat and calories. They still have a similar taste and can still be dipped in ketchup or a law cal dressing. If your niece will eat pasta but it used to the taste of white pasta then you could always make some with half whole wheat pasta and half white. This helps so that the flavor of the whole wheat pasta isn't overwhelming to someone who is used to it but then they are still getting some of the benefits.

Surprisingly, I read a study once, where researchers put toddlers in a room with all kinds of food options. Junk food and healthy food. Initially many kids went for cookies but throughout the day every child ate a well balanced meal. Our bodies know what they need...unfortunately, we fuel our bodies with junk and eventually get used to it.

Sorry about my long rant! :)
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a toughie! I have family members that eat like crap, lots of cary-out and processed foods. Their kids eat like that too - when they come visit they usually won't eat anything we prepare, so they go hungry. Tough is what I say. My healty food is not "gross" or "yucky" if they won't even try it, then how do they know? I have done a little bit of psychology (this really works!) and ask them if they want say, sandwiches OR pasta. I don't ask if they want something, I give them the option so they feel like they have a choice.

Go on your walks, cook healthy - work out, just set a good example........that's what I try to do :)