Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

P90Xers: staying on or resuming program due to travel?

Question for veteran P90Xers who sometimes have to travel:

How do you stay on track? Is it advisable to hit "pause" on the program for some days, then resume when you get back? Example if I was on day 5 of whatever week, and tomorrow had to travel for 4 days, is it advisable to just pretend the program is frozen in time and come back to do day 6 on whatever day you get back?

Options I am wondering about:

1) Try to do as much of the workouts as I could while travelling by toting a couple resistance bands (I have an orange and a blue one, wonder if I can get by with just that?) and the DVDs I would need.

2) Just come back and "reset the clock" to Day 1 of whatever week I was working on when I left. And take my resistance bands on the trip to do whatever exercises I want (but at least do *something*) on the days away from home.

3) Same as 2, but instead of resetting to Day 1 of the current week in progress, just continuing as if the travel days didn't exist. If I just did Plyo before the trip, move to the next day's activity for that week when I get back.

(Not sure when I might be faced with this, but it looks like it will be very possibly a disruption of Week 2 for this first-timer.)

Diet is a whole 'nuther matter....ugh.

Replies

• THANK YOU for posting this! I'm wondering about this too! I'm heading on vacation over week 4. I'm lucky that week 4 doesn't require any weights, but I'm still not sure I want to me jumping around my uncle's home, they already think I'm weird....
  • fishb023
    fishb023 Posts: 3 Member
    Dave, are you going to be traveling to places without a DVD player? If you'll be staying in a hotel room, you could bring a laptop and play the DVDs in that. As for me and my husband, we are very busy with work and a toddler in the house. We do our P90X workouts when we can. Like yesterday, we only had time for Ab Ripper X, and we hope today to get in a full workout while the baby naps. Also, the place we are renting now doesn't have room for a pull up bar because the door frames are weird. So we can't do the workouts with the pull up bar til the weather is warmer so we can put it on our deck door (too cold out in MN to do this now!!) The most important thing is to "KEEP HITTING PLAY"! Sure, the program is designed to do everyday, but we all know it isn't always possible to hit pause on real life. So do the workouts that you can (Kenpo, Plyo, Ab Ripper are all easy to do w/little to no equipment) if you're able. Otherwise, if you don't have any access to a dvd player/laptop, make up your own workout! Go for a long walk, jog around the block a few times, do some sit ups and pushups....Doing something is better than nothing!! Also, as for the eating good while you're away from home--buy some protein powder and replace a couple meals a day with a protein shake--they are easy, fast, and delicious! Good luck, and remember "Do your best, forget the rest!"
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    The book talks about how you can repeat or stay on a week longer if you think you too. If you have the UML DVD, this is made for a hotel room work out. The book says don't stay on a work out week longer than 6 weeks. I would think it would be best IMO to stick to the program, just take longer than 90 days. I got really sick last week during the recovery week and was told to move on because it was the recovery week. Have you searched the beachbody.com board, I found some great answers there in regards to some of my questions just by searching.
  • The book talks about how you can repeat or stay on a week longer if you think you too. If you have the UML DVD, this is made for a hotel room work out. The book says don't stay on a work out week longer than 6 weeks. I would think it would be best IMO to stick to the program, just take longer than 90 days. I got really sick last week during the recovery week and was told to move on because it was the recovery week. Have you searched the beachbody.com board, I found some great answers there in regards to some of my questions just by searching.

I think you're referring to the Power90 program, not the Power90X program. That above is not stated in the guide and does not include the UML workout.

As for the OP, if it were me, I would take the days off and then restart the phase I was in. But if you think you can get the workouts in at the hotel then more power to you. You can see if they have a hotel gym and bring a laptop in with you.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. DVD player shouldn't be a problem as I have to travel for work in this case and will have my laptop with me. My kit therefore would be the DVDs and the 2 bands. I'd probably attempt to do what I can depending on the day's exercise plan.

I can always hope that I will suffer minimal impact to the schedule. Sounds like the happy medium would be to do something, anything, while away, and maybe do a reset/restart on the week I am on when I get back, unless somehow magically I end up keeping up with the full workouts, depending on where in the cycle I am. As mentioned Tony says not to stay in the same phase for more than 6 weeks, so if I found myself in week 3 and had to break for 4-5 days (and could not do enough of the program each day in the hotel), I'd probably just start over on week 3, and maybe shoehorn in an extra week before recovery week.

That protein powder packet thing is a very good idea. I will most definitely prepare to have something like this. Which, by the way, reminds me that some of the places I travel to are places where you have to kind of avoid the local veggies even at better restaurants (unless you want a nice case of traveller's tummy, which is not fun, in case you are interested!), so I will have to look at options to bring in my own vegetable-y supplements or something.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I think you're referring to the Power90 program, not the Power90X program. That above is not stated in the guide and does not include the UML workout.

Since I don't have Power90 - it IS in the P90X book - and YES I have an UML with my workout on P90X. If I had the book with me I'd tell you what page it's on. But clearly stated in the P90X program that you can take longer and never stay on it longer than X weeks. I have Fountain of Youth and UML with my P90X program, I assumed if you ordered off Beach Body these came with the program when ordered.