Anyone living in the Middle East?

Options
I am an American currently living in Bahrain. I have been here 2 months and actually love it.

My question is eating out here. They have the mixed grill and Kbobs, but what else is a healthy choice. Love the hummus, and eggplant dips, it's the flatbread I have to be careful with.

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan but I am quite envious of you! I LOVE all that amazing food. I actually just ordered some party platters for the Superbowl from my local fave middle eastern restaurant. I bet it's not as good as what you're eating! =)

Do you like grape leaves or falaffal? The lentil soups are my favorite and good for you! The only thing that might catch up with you is the pita!
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    You are so right, the food here is amazing, but I really am trying to figure out the best things. It's hard for them to understand when I ask question about the food. They don't get the concept of "diet"

But I must say, something is going right for them food wise, I don't see very many obese people
  • lhague
    Options
    Oh yeah, thanks for that, I was thinking about the grape leaves, just haven't tried them. I just have seen lentil soup, I love them.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lived in Iran for 4 years. The fresh fruit was amazing, especially what came from right on our own property. We had huge cherry trees, pomegranates, persimmons, apricots, lime and almond trees. How's the fresh produce in your area?
  • lhague
    Options
    OMG all the fruits and veggies here have such incredible flavor. Fresh produce is everywhere and extremely cheap. I am 26 km from Saudi (Over a causeway) and apparently they have the kilometers of green houses. I believe I read they are the biggest in the world.

So I know I have to be careful of the flatbreads, but the hummus and babaganoush, are they made with yogurt?
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    california born, never traveled, was given a trip for a week each to rome, egypt and jordan, due to leave february 28,

oh dear,

if I stay in rome for 3 weeks instead I fear I will gain back every ounce I have lost,

little sacrifice compared to those who are fighting for their lives,

my prayers for them
  • khursh8
    khursh8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really have anything to do with dieting, but I was wondering how you all ended up in the Middle East? I'm currently an ex-pat in Spain, but I'm interested in living in the Middle East someday. And just to throw in something about dieting, Spaniards are all pretty thin as well, and I think it has something to do with how much walking they do and how little processed food they eat. It's a great lifestyle actually.
  • lhague
    Options
    It would be worth the 3 weeks in Rome, it is amazing. Just keep your witts about you when eating. Lots of seafood
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You are so right, the food here is amazing, but I really am trying to figure out the best things. It's hard for them to understand when I ask question about the food. They don't get the concept of "diet"

But I must say, something is going right for them food wise, I don't see very many obese people

the food there is amazing, I wouldn't imagine there are many obese people, that's the healthiest diet, as far as food goes I know some of them that might help you....

dolmas- dolmadas- grape leaves rolled around rice may contain pine nuts, lemon, or ground meat (maybe lamb)
    baba ganoush- hummus w/ roasted eggplant
    fatoush- healthy salad with stale pita
    falafel-veggies and bulgar (cracked wheat)
    kibbie- wheat and ground meat (there is a veggie version also)
    gyro- lamb (i suppose in moderation not bad for you)
    baklava- pistachio and phyllo dessert (oh so good..but probably high in fat and cals)

that's all i can think of off hand, you mentioned the lentil soup already and there's one they make with pomegranate juice in it, delish! im envious of you lol.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    OMG all the fruits and veggies here have such incredible flavor. Fresh produce is everywhere and extremely cheap. I am 26 km from Saudi (Over a causeway) and apparently they have the kilometers of green houses. I believe I read they are the biggest in the world.

So I know I have to be careful of the flatbreads, but the hummus and babaganoush, are they made with yogurt?

I'd be loading up on the produce then! Beans and brown rice, too. Stay away from the white rice. That flat bread, fresh from the oven, is so good it's evil, lol.
  • lhague
    Options
    This doesn't really have anything to do with dieting, but I was wondering how you all ended up in the Middle East? I'm currently an ex-pat in Spain, but I'm interested in living in the Middle East someday. And just to throw in something about dieting, Spaniards are all pretty thin as well, and I think it has something to do with how much walking they do and how little processed food they eat. It's a great lifestyle actually.

My husband was offered to move here and set up an office. Our kids are grown, we wanted to travel this area of the world and what a better place to be. We went to Egypt in December, shortly after arriving. Our kids came for Christmas so they were able to go with us. Glad we were able to go then, not now of course.

We are meeting our friends from TX in Spain over Easter. I have been to Barcelona once about 8 years ago, loved it. We will be going to Malaga for Easter.

I think you are right about the walking. Most of the snack food I see in stores are also mostly American or European.
  • lhague
    Options
    I know, it is evil disguised as a fluffy angel.
  • lhague
    Options

the food there is amazing, I wouldn't imagine there are many obese people, that's the healthiest diet, as far as food goes I know some of them that might help you....

Wow thanks! That really helps a great deal. By the time we have gotten home I have have forgotten the names.

dolmas- dolmadas- grape leaves rolled around rice may contain pine nuts, lemon, or ground meat (maybe lamb)
    baba ganoush- hummus w/ roasted eggplant
    fatoush- healthy salad with stale pita
    falafel-veggies and bulgar (cracked wheat)
    kibbie- wheat and ground meat (there is a veggie version also)
    gyro- lamb (i suppose in moderation not bad for you)
    baklava- pistachio and phyllo dessert (oh so good..but probably high in fat and cals)

that's all i can think of off hand, you mentioned the lentil soup already and there's one they make with pomegranate juice in it, delish! im envious of you lol.
  • lhague
    Options
    Enjoy your travel.

Someone posted earlier about the processed food, and she is right, the food outside of the states is fresh, not alot of sodium and chemicals.

Have fun.