Heated yoga? Questions...

MacguyverMommy
MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am your standard level 1.5 yoga taker. I know most of the terms and how to get into them... flow yoga is my favorite because I actually feel like I am getting a workout! :) So yesterday I tried this "heated yoga" class. NOT BIKRAM THO.

I did indeed sweat alot (but it was like the kind of sweat you have in humid areas, like Mexico- particularly at the beginning) and I feel sore today, which is good... I think LOL!!!
When I log 50 minutes of yoga into MFD it says 115 calories though. I think I burned more... especially considering how hot it was in there and that I was dripping wet when I left.

Which poses another question to me... it the hot yoga a 'better workout' becuase of the water weight lost due to the heat? Or is it truly a more caloric burning workout because of the heat? I definetly stretched better due to it, thats for sure!

Any feedback would be appreciated on this. Thank you!!!!

Replies

• iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    I have nothing of value to add. I LOVE hot yoga.
  • I am wondering the same thing... although I do Bikram. And I have no idea how many calories I burn a class. I usually just put in regular yoga for 90 mins, but it has to be more that what MFP is saying. The heat def. helps me stretch too :)
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    I have always been told to use a heart monitor for workouts especially if you can get the ones that have calories burned then you know that its the correct calorie intake.. I have found one I plan on purchasing at Walmart for 30 bucks..
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Hello :)

I have been doing Bikram Yoga on and off for years and I ASSURE you you burned waaayyyy more calories!
    Depending on your weight and how much effort you put into your session, you burned anywhere from 300 to 900 calories...!

Elissa
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I take heated vinyasa classes and I love them. As far as burning more just because its hot, I don't know.
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Cool! Great to have feedback, thank you all!
This discussion has been closed.