need to increase iron?

Options
I have long suspected I am simply not getting enough iron.
readings from blood work in the past have indicated (at times) i was on the very low end of 'borderline' ok *L* though I really have no clue what that meant in terms of numbers.
I know iron levels fluctuate for me (hey, I AM female *L*)

More recent months (due to some jokes mother nature likes to play on aging women *L*) I have no doubt my iron is low.. likely too low.

In past years I was given iron supplements, but always found these upset my stomach something terrible, so never continued taking them, and as a result I am loath to try taking them again now.

BUT.. thanks to adding the 'iron' tracker to my food diary, i can see what I was worrried about, I truly am not getting alot of iron in my diet naturally, always WAY under on the daily requirements.(my diary is public so feel free to have a look).
I really would prefer to be able to increase iron intake naturally (through my food) to avoid the stomach pains I get from iron supplements, but I truly am not that much of a red meat eater.

I SURE would appreciate any suggestions from my fellow mfpers*S*

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    lifelong anemic here! i feel your pain. iron supplements can be a b--ch so i prefer to eat my iron allotment.

dark fruits and darkish leafy greens are the best sources apart from red meat (i hate red meat)
    my favorites are: spinach, blackberries, avocado, black olives, etc.
    dark chocolate... yep. it's true.
    look for naturally dark reddish or blackish veggies and fruits - it's the best way to tell whether or not the food is a good source of iron when there is no nutrition label to read from.
  • katevonr
    Options
    Most cereals are iron fortified, which can help if you are a cereal eater. Spinach is a biggie. But my favorite high-iron food is Cream of Wheat. I give blood regularly and always worry about my iron being low, so the night before I am going to give blood, I have a bowl of cream of wheat for dinner. I prefer the stovetop cooked type to the instant packets, but either are high in iron! And taste great with berries added on top for the extra boost!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and the only way I was able to up my iron was to take a shake. I use the Xocai shake but I am sure every other shake rich in Iron would work. I tried another way and it really didn't fit in my diet or life style. Good luck
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    wow! great suggestions.. thank you all!

if i cannot find a way to up my iron consistently with regular foods I can see having to try the shake route...
    though at first (as every calorie is precious to me *LOL*, and i don't find shakes filling), i am thinking the hot cereal suggestion may be the kickstart I need.. I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast regularly and after reading the suggestion here and doing some comparison quickly of hot cereals I can see that WOW almost every OTHER hot cereal available has more iron than oatmeal (which seems to have none as i do like the plain oldfashioned oatmeal)..and i DO love cream of wheat.. soooo *L*.. since I am getting lotsa fibre elsewhere, cream of wheat, here I come *LOL*

Am already eating lotsa blackberries and spinach, and the occasional avocado (though when I have them around I tend to overindulge *L*)..but, I never thought about black olives! (which I also adore).... yay! I love an excuse to have them *grins*

thanks you all again!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    don't forget about molasses, a Tbs of molasses in a glass of orange juice can make a big difference on your iron level.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    If you're going to make a shake, why not just start the day with a green smoothie? I use 1/2 a banana, an apple (or pear), a cup or two of spinach, and sometimes some other lettuce (romaine, red leaf, etc) on top. I also add wakame or another seaweed, chia and flax seeds, and sometimes a little honey. There are endless variations on these smoothies - and you can get in two (or more) cups of greens first thing in the morning. If you add coconut water and meat, it also helps regulate your hormones. Otherwise, add a little orange juice or just plain water.

It can take a little getting used to, so I started with mostly fruit and added a little greens at a time. The color really gets to some people, but most everyone gets used to it once they taste the smoothie. For some recipes just Google or GoodSearch "green smoothie."