My first real test coming up...the weekend!

Options
Been doing great this first week (started on Monday) but am terrified about the weekend. My friends and boyfriend are all drinkers and diners out Friday-Sunday, and while I'm not a huge drinker, lets be honest, hitting the bars is a little more fun after a couple drinks. And I don't want to be miserably picking through a salad at all the cool restaurants we hit up. Any suggestions? Should I just stay in this weekend and stick to my own cooking? How do you all balance your diet with having fun?

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are you going to stay in every single weekend? You need to learn how to deal with going out. Whether it's have a salad before you go out so you only eat half of your meal (ask them to box it up before they bring the plate out to you), or drinking water between alcoholic beverages or going all out on exercise earlier in the day so you earn yourself some extra calories, there are ways to lose and not be a hermit.

If you're just watching your calories until you hit a number of the scale with the intention of going back to your old eating patterns, you'll be fighting those same pounds the rest of your life.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Haha I would be ok staying in every weekend! I'm not really a bars person, which is why I need a drink to not hate my life. Restaurants is where I really need to work. I'll have to try eating a salad at home first, then I won't be temped by the fattiest thing on the menu because I'm starving, which is what usually happens...
  • scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have learned to plan ahead. Find out what restaurants you will be going to and look them up on the web. Most post the nutrition content of things...even alcohol. Then plan for it! Just stay focused and remember planning is the key, you don't have to eat salads the whole time.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan ahead! Check out the calories and sodium. Want to indulge? Hit the gym first. And log everything! Most importantly, have fun!
  • pldmi
    pldmi Posts: 9
    Options
    Or maybe instead of eating a dinner you can talk everyone into doing just appetizers and sharing and then you tend not to eat as much. But you can still eat a variety of good food.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I completely know how you feel! I had my test last weekend and I learned a lot of things the hard way.

As Scagneti said before, ask them to box up half your meal before hand so this way there is no temptation.

My other suggestion is look up all the nutrion information of the restaurants you may hit up and keep in mind the few meals you can have (carry a notebook with this info...it helps). This way, you aren't stuck with one salad but already know your options. Limit yourself as to how many drinks and keep drinking that water. Also remember that most restaurants let you adjust any meal, so if you get a burger, get it without mayo and no fries but maybe veggies on the side (be careful of the salt intake). I also carry around the little calorie counter book by the calorie king. This has at least how many calories will be in many foods and many restaurants. I recommend it for your purse for quick look ups.

You can do it and you just have to want to do it. I know how you feel and it is hard going out the first weekend, but once you set yourself limits but also show yourself what you can do, you will be much happier.

Good luck!
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Almost every restaurant has nutrition info online so you can plan in advance.
    If it's a smaller place go with a small steak and baked potato. Usually that will have half the calories of a salad with cheese, bacon and full fat dressing.
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    Google ways to order at a restaurant that is healthy!! All tips will help! Usually custom ordering, have sauces on the side eat things baked not deep fried. Have faith be smart and good luck!!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Make sure you workout that day. That way you'll have some extra calories to eat/drink. I make sure to burn between 350-400 cals before I go out b/c I drink about 360 cals worth of alcohol.
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    It depends where you go to eat out. Some restaurants will prepare your food lightly if asked, such as not cooking your food in butter. If you know you are going to order a salad, bring your own dressing. Instead of ordering loaded mashed potatoes, order the veggies (just an example). Most restaurants, at least the ones I have been to, have a low calories and/or weight watchers section on their menu. Order water to drink with your meals. Also, as someone already suggested, eat just a portion of your meal. In the bar situation, you can either adjust to not drinking and having a good time or google low calorie and low sugar drinks to order.