Mexican Food

Options
Hi,

I am looking for some healthy options to order when visiting a mexican restaurant. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I would order chicken fajitas, hold the tortillas. And see if they could provide a salad on the side. If not, then black beans or pinto beans. Some restaurants here (I live in San Antonio) will use lettuce leaves instead of tortillas if you ask them to when you order tacos.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Shrimp coctail approx 258cals
    Grilled shrimp

Now I want shrimp....
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    there's a place nearby that does Jalisco style. they'll let me choose 2 chicken for their combo plate. no tortillas, rice or beans and a salad of shredded lettuce, tomato and avocado slices with lemon or lime wedges. i do the unsweetened iced tea with lemon or water with lemon or lime. the other option is a grilled flatiron steak with the same deal as the chicken plate.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do a wheat tortilla with grilled chicken, lettuce and salsa. When I add it up it comes to about 550 calories (OK, I add a little quac too).
  • ktblueyz
    Options
    steer clear of the chips, tortillas, cheese, sour cream, and guac.
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    I get the carne asada steak instead of the tacos. I asked what cut of beef it is so that I could log it accuratly. I skipped the tortillas, refried beans and rice, and opted for black beans and salad. It turned out to only be a bit over 600 cals.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There's usually an item on the menu which is just grilled chicken, rice, and beans. Sometimes it's called plato mexicano or pollo azado. Usually comes with tortillas, so hold the tortillas. That's what I usually get.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Shrimp coctail approx 258cals
    Grilled shrimp

Now I want shrimp....

HAHA... I hear you... I am a shrimpaholic... lol
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I usually order grilled chicken fajitas and tell them to grill them dry (no oil). Some restaurants bring them out and they are swimming in oil. And definitely tell the waitress not to bring chips and salsa to the table. I can't resist them if they are sitting in front of me. :blushing:
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I got this huge veggie burrito and it was only 400 calories. It had beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, broccoli, corn, and zucchini on a whole wheat tortilla. Maybe they will have something like that?
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Fiesta salad...fajita chicken and veggies over lettuce.