Michelle's top 5 healthy recipes for foodies

mnishi
mnishi Posts: 419 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Hi! I'm a foodie, I absolutely LOVE food, so I find it really difficult to diet and give up all the foods that I really love. So here are 5 recipes that I've created that are delicious (I think) and healthy. I feel that with these recipes I'm not giving up any favor but I am giving up a lot of fat.
I hope you enjoy and please share any of your recipes with me, I'd love to try something new.

Tuna Pita’s
1 can of tuna (in water)
Whole wheat pocket pita
½ - 1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Lemon pepper seasoning (or fresh lemon juice and pepper)
1 tsp Garlic powder
Romaine lettuce
Tomato
Gouda (optional)

Mix together the tuna, olive oil, lemon pepper seasoning, and garlic powder (all seasoning are to taste, use less or more as you like), place mixture into the fridge for at least 15 min (the longer the better). While the tuna is chilling wash lettuce and tomatoes and cut tomatoes into slices. Cut the pita in half and toast. Place all ingredients into pita and enjoy.

Breakfast smoothie
1 banana
½ c frozen strawberries
½ c frozen blueberries
½ c frozen mango, papaya, or peaches
½ tbsp peanut butter
½ c soy milk
½ c carrot juice
¼ c pomegranate juice

Mix all ingredients in blender and enjoy.
This recipe makes 3-4 servings; I usually make two days worth and keep it in the fridge to save time.
All ingredients can be switched out as you like, I just try to have as many colors as possible for the fruit, different colors usually mean different vitamins.

Shrimp Ceviche
1 lb. Cooked shrimp
3-4 Tomatoes
1 white onion
Cilantro
1-2 Jalapeños
1-2 limes
Salt
Tortilla chips (optional)

Dice tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro into small pieces. Cut shrimp into bite sized pieces if necessary. Squeeze lime juice and salt to taste. Chill for ½ hour. Eat with tortilla chips, crackers or just by its self.

Note: traditionally Ceviche is made with raw fish “cooked” in lime juice, I just find that’s it’s easier to defrost cooked shrimp. If you want to use raw fish (make sure it's really fresh though), just slice into bite sized pieces and soak in lime juice for at least 1 hour, drain then add other ingredients.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 chicken breasts
1 white onion
1 can crushed tomatoes (fire roasted is best)
1 dried pasilla pepper (any moderately spicy dried pepper will do)
3 cloves of garlic
Cilantro
1 qt low sodium chicken stock
Garnishes
Avocado
Chihuahua cheese (or pepper jack)
Tortilla chips
Lime wedges

Roughly chop onions and garlic and sauté in a stock pot or dutch oven until golden brown. In a skillet, toast the pepper until blistered. Put the pepper, onions, garlic, and tomatoes into a blender and blend until smooth (DO NOT seal the blender, the heat from the onions will make it explode; I remove the inner circle of the top and place a towel over it). Heat the same pot used to sauté onions over medium heat and add the blended mixture, cook for about 10 min or until the mixture has the consistency of tomato sauce. While that is cooking, chop the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken stock to pot, once the soup boils lower heat to a simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the cilantro (I put in a few sprigs and remove when ready to serve) and chicken, cook for 10 min and serve with garnishes.

Flaky Salmon
2 salmon fillets
Lemon
Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Place aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and put salmon fillets in the center. Sprinkle pepper and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top. Pull up the sides of the aluminum foil and fold together, making a pouch. Place in the oven for 10-15 min. The salmon will be flaky and really delicious without adding any fat or salt. I will usually steam veggies to go with the salmon.
This discussion has been closed.