No weight loss?

Options
I have been consuming the recommended calories everyday and burning approximately 300 to 400 calories a day. I havent budged on the scale and i knew that i wouldnt at first but i want to make sure i am doing this correctly. Am i supposed to eat the 1520 in cals that its says to eat AND the calories I burn? I have only been eating the 1520 sometimes i go over but not more than 50 calories. How do i eat so many calories in a day and drink 8 glasses of water? i already feel like im going to explode trying to eat the 1520 and drinking 5 glasses a day. Please help, i really need the advice. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure that your NET calories are around 1200. This is something that is talked about a lot on here. Some say not to eat all the exercise calories, and some say to eat them. I, myself, have been eating most of mine and have lost approx 5 lbs in a little over a week.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to eat what you burn.

I usually go half-and-half: I eat back half of what I burn. If I need a calorie boost, I'll have a handful of almonds, or a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter in pudding.

You're not alone! I was looking at my meal plan for today, and I can't figure out how I can possibly eat all of it AND go out tonight.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    NO. The LOWEST your net calories should be is around 1200. You need to eat what MFP recommends because the calculation is based on your body and the information you give.

Eat, work out. If you're hungry, eat back some of the calories you burned working out. That's as complicated as it needs to be.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Click the link in my signature.

I'm only at 1250 and sometimes it's hard to meet that and I eat all day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to eat the calories you burn from exercise. You already have a calorie deficit built into your daily calorie goal. So even if you didn't exercise you'd still lose weight. That's why you need to eat your exercise calories. If you don't, you won't be giving your body enough calories to function properly. A lot of people will say to get at least 1200 net calories per day, but that isn't enough for most people, especially people who exercise.
  • klitza
    Options
    When it comes to the calories, go to the tools tab and figure out your BMR and go from there. I have been eating as many calories as my BMR and then adding excercise and the weight is coming off pretty good. As for the water consumption, don't worry about the 8 glasses a day. If you look up the study that they did on that however long ago it was it says that we need about 8, 8oz servings of water but just after that it says that we get most of that from our food intake. The 5 glasses you are already drinking is plenty. Maybe even a little much.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the calories, go to the tools tab and figure out your BMR and go from there. I have been eating as many calories as my BMR and then adding excercise and the weight is coming off pretty good. As for the water consumption, don't worry about the 8 glasses a day. If you look up the study that they did on that however long ago it was it says that we need about 8, 8oz servings of water but just after that it says that we get most of that from our food intake. The 5 glasses you are already drinking is plenty. Maybe even a little much.

You have no idea what a relief it is to here that... i can feel the water sloshing in my stomach sometimes! It is so awful... i feel like im drowning myself... thank you for this i will try the bmr thing you mentioned
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There is a lot to consider. Are you Sedetary, are you active, are you very active? If you are very active, you may not need to do cardio everyday, just 30-45min every other day. Are you doing body weight or light weight for strength 5-6 days a week? Are you drinking 6-8 8oz glasses of water 7 days a week? What type of foods are you consuming to make up your 1500 cals daily? Are you ending your day with a net cal of 1200 after you've worked out? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you checking your sodium and sugar intake?

I am asking those questions because I have a plateau problem going on more than one time in the last few months. You should be consuming a reasonable breakfast of your choice, about 2-3 ozs of meat for lunch with maybe a salad and the dressing of your choice (I also have 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/2 of croutons on my salad) , a serving of fruit for snack and about 2 ozs of cheese and another serving of fruit for your second snack and maybe a 1/4 cut of nuts and for dinner you should be having about 4 ozs of meat and as many veggies as you would like . I have busted through the plateau eating this way. Try it to see if you lose. Good luck and I am going to send you a friend request as well.