Revelation about exercise

Options
It has been a long time since I had the feeling of looking forward to exercising. I don't know if it's the concept of helping with weight loss or knowing that it increases the number of calories I can consume but I don't dread it anymore. And the feeling of accomplishment I feel afterwards is a bonus. My goal was to exercise every other day but now I feel like a load when I miss a day. At this point, my exercise consists of walking briskly for 60-70 minutes (about 3-3.5 miles) so I'm not hitting the gym or doing aerobics and such but it still feels like quite an accomplishement for a 53 year old self-confessed couch potato. I hope this mindset continues into the nice weather when it's even easier to be motivated. Of course the greatest motivation is positive results on the scale and waistline which is going well thusfar. Plus all the positive feedback from MFP friends!

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! It's amazing how much better you feel when you actually ENJOY exercising :)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! I need to get outside more...I'm so lazy :P ...Maybe once the snow leaves Nova Scotia :) xo
  • Shadea
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was going to Bootcamp three days a week and I looked forward to it when I wasn't there and I loved the way I felt afterwards but the whole hour I was there I cursed the instructor and wondered why I kept paying them to torture me in that way. Now that I haven't been able to go do to a back injury I find that I'm looking for ways to excersize at home.
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I feel the same! For years I totally hated exercising, hated running, hated doing anything but lying on my bed and watch TV, but now I even feel guilty sitting in bed and I have to get up and do something (usually playing wii or just annoy my doggie).
    Since I started exercising I believe I have more energy and I even feel better about myself! And I really feel weird if I don't train a day, it's like I miss something.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's a huge step when you make that crossover from external to internal motivation. I think it is crucial to your long-term success.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously addicted to running! I took the day off from it yesterday and it made me moody. I'm seriously addicted to the endorphins it produces and the energy it gives me overall. I'm not sure it's healthy to feel that way, lmao, but it works and keeps me running and feeling great. :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's a huge step when you make that crossover from external to internal motivation. I think it is crucial to your long-term success.

I couldn't agree more!!

Once you no longer see exercise as a drudgery, a means to an end that begrudgingly has to be done, but as something you look forward to, enjoy and that makes you feel good... THEN you've got it made!! :happy:

Welcome to the club!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: