Do you log candy...

Options
2»

Replies

• outersoul
    Options
    Holy crap...I just looked up a Lifesaver Wint-O-Green and it's 15 calories. I always eat those after a meal. I need to start logging them!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If I just eat one peppermint, I assume by walking around I'm going to burn off that 10 calories.

A handful of jelly beans? Gotta record that stuff.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I do log candy....even one peice. My first couple days on here, I had a mary jane candy and it was 35 calories, I ended up over by 32 that day! I do not however track gum, I too feel that I burn the 5 calories chewing it and call it a wash.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Yeah I'll typically log candy like a candy bar which I very infrequently eat but I figured little hard candies didn't need logging. I have decided to start logging hard candies but gum not so much.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for your advice and input! I really appreciated. Seems like I've been cheating myself.
    I will cut back on my sweet intake and stick to sugar free gum in which I will log under snacks :)

Do you all recommend anything better?? I used to do grapes but I know that can up my sugars.

I really suggest you stop snacking between your meals. And by snacking, I mean just putting things in your mouth to keep your mouth/brain occupied. (I'm not talking about cutting out the scheduled snack that you might have between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and dinner, etc. ) This is one of those behaviors that you just have to make the effort to change. It's like a smoker, always needing to feel like they have a cigarette in their mouth. For lack of a better example, think of a drug addict... do they quit doing drugs by taking small "hits" all day long? No! They have to quit cold turkey! It will probably be hard; might take you a few days. But, see if you can challenge yourself to NOT snack on any gum/candy between your scheduled meals/snacks. Try it for 3 days.... If you can get over that 3 day hump, I bet you will find it's easier and easier not to. And I speak from experience! I chewed sugar free gum ALL day long; had to have something in mouth. Now, the only time I think about having gum is when I want to make sure my breath is fresh! :tongue:
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks you all for your advice and input! I really appreciated. Seems like I've been cheating myself.
    I will cut back on my sweet intake and stick to sugar free gum in which I will log under snacks :)

Do you all recommend anything better?? I used to do grapes but I know that can up my sugars.

I really suggest you stop snacking between your meals. And by snacking, I mean just putting things in your mouth to keep your mouth/brain occupied. (I'm not talking about cutting out the scheduled snack that you might have between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and dinner, etc. ) This is one of those behaviors that you just have to make the effort to change. It's like a smoker, always needing to feel like they have a cigarette in their mouth. For lack of a better example, think of a drug addict... do they quit doing drugs by taking small "hits" all day long? No! They have to quit cold turkey! It will probably be hard; might take you a few days. But, see if you can challenge yourself to NOT snack on any gum/candy between your scheduled meals/snacks. Try it for 3 days.... If you can get over that 3 day hump, I bet you will find it's easier and easier not to. And I speak from experience! I chewed sugar free gum ALL day long; had to have something in mouth. Now, the only time I think about having gum is when I want to make sure my breath is fresh! :tongue:

Great advice...so this means I have to get rid of the snacks I keep in my drawer...
    I'll try it for 3 days like you advised and see how it goes. If I don't have the shakes or mood swings I'll know it's do-able :) Thanks again for the advice!