Tired of fruits and veggies... HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• tompetty
    tompetty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about how they're prepared-- You can add fruit to lots of things: Cereal, oatmeal, cottage cheese, smoothies, yogurt, etc. Some fruits are also good baked (although a lot of people can't get over the warm mushy, I like it): pears, apples, bananas. There are low-cal cobbler recipes and things like that too.
    I get bored eating raw vegetables and salads, but you can mix and match all kinds of stuff and throw it in and bake/sautee them. If you can do the smoothie thing, you can also usually get away with throwing some spinach or carrots in there without altering the taste too much. Also try adding veggies to sandwiches, shoving as many as you can in soups, or in a low-cal stirfry etc.

I find it's a lot easier to integrate them into meals rather than having them be this extra bit I have to think about to Add to a meal.

Good luck! There's been a lot of good ideas.

Apples, frozen berries, squash&zucchini, and red potatoes are my favorites.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Oh yeah ..spices as the above poster said. That REALLY helps.
    If you like spicy food, olive oil, garlic and red pepper are awesome.
    Or you can do chipotle with adobe sauce and onion and garlic.
    Lemon juice and parsley and thyme
    Chili powder and cumin and coriander combined
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    edamame is yummy :)
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! Here is what I've had in my rotation this week:

From Costco:

Blackberries (huge) great alone or in yogurt or oatmeal
    Strawberries - they are in season right now in FL/AL
    Compari tomatoes

Others I like:

Sugar snap peas
    cucumbers
    kale....it's yummy to roast with olive oil...turns out like chips
    sweet potatoes- last night I cut them in to fries and tossed with olive oil and spices then roasted
    minneola oranges
    baby spinach

I'm making vegetable soup at the moment with stuff I would not normally eat ...like turnip, okra, butternut squash, onion, and other winter parsnips. I also added garbanzo beans, navy beans and crushed tomatoes.

I get tired of the same old stuff so I keep experimenting! :)
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I adore eggplant! I grow lots of Chinese eggplant ( the long thin kind) every summer and even make a eggplant relish with the last of the season.

An easy way to prepare it is peel with carrot peeler and slice into thin slices or small chunks. No need to presalt this kind of eggplant to draw out bitter flavor. Chop an onion and a red sweet pepper and saute tall three ingredients in a small amount of olive oil. Eggplant absorbs oil easily so don't keep adding oil. Just keep stirring and the eggplant will sweat out water and not stick to the pan. After all is slightly browned/cooked add fresh chopped tomatoes (or canned out of season). The amount of everything is up to you. Then comes the fun part. Add fresh pressed garlic to taste and any other seasonings you like. Sometimes I add cumin and chipolte pepper. Sometimes I use Italian seasoning and garlic pepper. I have also tried chili powder and garlic; that was good too. Just add whatever seasonings you like, or would like to try. If you want a main course, add some chopped cooked chicken and a little fresh shredded parmesan cheese on top - yummy!

You also asked about artichokes - I steam or boil them and dip the leaves and bottom in hummus. I used to dip in butter but no longer. tPrepping them to cook is the hard part.
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    I had the best fruit salad ever yesterday, it was papaya, mango, pineapple and coconut, so tropical and delicious! it makes a lot, but whatever is leftover can be frozen for smoothies.

That sounds absolutely delicious! I will definitely be trying this asap! :smile: