Go Red for Heart Health tomorrow!!

AnaNotBanana
AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
Ladies and guys too!! Remember to wear red tomorrow. It's National Women's Heart Health Awareness day. This subject is very near and dear to my heart (pun intended). My mom at the age of 40 was told that her cholesterol was 420 (borderline high is 200) and that it was a miracle that she hadn't had a stroke or heart attack. She has never been overweight or unhealthy. When I trained for 8 weeks for my 5K, she trained for 2 weeks and ran next to me the whole time. She is my biggest supporter and my hero. I'm wearing red tomorrow in honor of her and in honor of all the women that have had to battle this disease and in hopes that because I've improved my health that I won't be one of them.

One in four women in the United States dies of heart disease, while one in 30 dies of breast cancer. Heart disease can begin early, even in the teen years, and women in their 20s and 30s need to take action to reduce their risk of developing heart disease. Yet among U.S. women ages 18 and older, 17.3 percent are current smokers, 51.6 are overweight (BMI of 25 or greater), 27 percent have hypertension, 35 percent have high cholesterol, and 53 percent do not meet physical activity recommendations.

So wear red, get the word out and get off your butt!! The best gift you can give yourself is your health!

Replies

• Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    I'm planning on wearing my red!!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    :heart: Thanks for the heads up!! I will definitely be wearing red tomorrow and posted it on my facebook to encourage my family and friends to do the same! :heart:
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    thanks for the reminder...heart health is a cause dear to my heart :)
  • AnaNotBanana
    Thanks for spreading the word. It's so important because breast cancer, although very important also, gets the most attention, funding and support but heart disease is so much more prevalent in women.
  • I'm with you!!

p.s. Red is the new black! :o]
  • amandatimm
    amandatimm Posts: 14 Member
    I will be wearing my red tomorrow!! I love that my work gets involved so we can wear red and jeans and buy a cute button to wear that was made by a 7 year old survivor! :)
  • AnaNotBanana
    I love seeing the guys get into this too!! I'm making my boyfriend wear a red tie to work tomorrow.
    I'm with you!!

p.s. Red is the new black! :o]
  • makeuwell
    makeuwell Posts: 3 Member
    This is wonderful! I am a 40 y.o survivor. I have an implanted defibrilator now. I am trying to lose the weight to get healthier too. Thanks to everyone who participates, as this means a lot too me!!
  • AnaNotBanana
    Good for you for getting healthy!!
    This is wonderful! I am a 40 y.o survivor. I have an implanted defibrilator now. I am trying to lose the weight to get healthier too. Thanks to everyone who participates, as this means a lot too me!!
  • Good job (:-)"
This discussion has been closed.