Is it a jog or a walk?

Options
I normally walk on my treadmill at 3.0 for one hour to an hour and forty minutes, 3-5 miles. Today I wanted to a bit shorter of a workout, so I tried jogging. Now I admit that I took breaks since I'm not used to it, but I actually ended up keeping the treadmill at 3.0. When I normally walk, I take longish strides, but for my "jog" I was taking shorter strides, more like I was jogging in place. Without a doubt, this was a much more strenuous exercise than when I walk, but technically I was going the same speed... Can anyone give me information about this? Did I jog, or was I just doing a bouncy, shufflely walk? I want to log it properly, and I don't know what I did...

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Replies

• Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I want to know this too as I've done the same thing.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    As far as logging it on here, you log it by speed. At least that is how it is categorized and slowest is a 12 min mile or 5 mph. Now for general purposes I would say that yes you were jogging, just at a slow pace. Good job. Just keep trying until the rest times become fewer and far between. They you can work on your speed.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I run on the treadmill, I do it at 4.2 or 4.3 mph, and I think the motion of jogging is definitely more strenuous and gets your heart rate up much higher than just walking. That's why I love my HRM, I don't have to rely on the treadmill or the MFP database to tell me how many calories burned, since it's much higher if I was jogging at 4.0 mph than if I was walking at 4.0 mph.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I run on the treadmill, I do it at 4.2 or 4.3 mph, and I think the motion of jogging is definitely more strenuous and gets your heart rate up much higher than just walking. That's why I love my HRM, I don't have to rely on the treadmill or the MFP database to tell me how many calories burned, since it's much higher if I was jogging at 4.0 mph than if I was walking at 4.0 mph.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    3.0 is walking. I am sort of in the same boat because I am learning how to jog. My trainer had me walk for 1 minute, then jog for 1 minute to blast my heart rate, and repeat. I did this for 20 minutes. This is a great way to learn to jog and build endurance. This week, I walked for one minute and jog for two minutes, and repeat for 20 minutes. As the week passes I will be increasing the minutes I jog and taking one minute walking breaks.
    However, on the treadmill 3.7 - 4.0 usually constitutes jogging.
    keep up the good work
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    to be honest does it matter what exersice you do as long as you do it!! ??
    yes running/jogging is better but just try to push yourseld a little more each week and you will get there!!
  • luby162
    Options
    There are alot of popular programs out there that are half jog and half walk, for instance you can walk for 1 min jog for 1 min, or walk 4 mins jog 1 min, this is what i started out at and now i am doing triathlons and running 5k's, it just took awhile to get there. Do what is comfortable to you, whatever that may be as long as you are doing something. Good Luck !!1
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a very specific definition between walking and running. With walking, one foot is always in contact with the ground at all times. As soon as both feet leave the ground at once during the stride, you are running--doesn't make any difference what speed.

From a calorie-counting standpoint, there is no table or formula for running at that speed. The equations used to predict energy expenditure are only valid for speeds 5.0 and above. That's not a value judgement. Biomechically, there is too much variability in things like stride length and running style to develop equations that can estimate energy expenditure at running speeds less than 5.0 mph (or walking speeds greater than 4.2 mph).
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I knew I was working harder than when I walk, but also recognize that I wasn't exactly breaking world records. I wanted to make sure that I logged an appropriate calorie burn.

Thanks again for the wisdom and encouragement!
  • kiimae777
    kiimae777 Posts: 1
    Options
    I currently am jogging at the same speed every day. The treadmill for some reason does not tell me my calories burned and as mentioned above the slowest jog on here is 5 mph. i was wondering if you could tell me how many calories you burn during your workout while jogging so I can compare it to mine. Im still working on getting my endurance up so I jog most of one mile at 4.3 mph and then walk at 3.5 mph. If you could give me an idea that would be great! Thanks :happy:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Walking and running (jogging) are different actions. The motion, not speed, dictates the difference between the two. The link below explains the mechanical differences between the activities and the corresponding caloric burns.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Walking and running (jogging) are different actions. The motion, not speed, dictates the difference between the two. The link below explains the mechanical differences between the activities and the corresponding caloric burns.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

This.
  • pandahugger00
    pandahugger00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I jog on 5 mph, but I am a taller girl (5'11") with longer legs. It depends on how tall you are, how fit, and how active you're being as to whether it's a jog or walk.
    For me, I can only walk on 3. Even 4 is just a brisk stroll. But 5 is a jog, and 6 is a brisk jog for me. It's when I get to 7 I would say I'm running.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Walking means you always have one foot touching the ground. As soon as your gait causes you to have both feet in the air at the same time, it's jogging (or running, obvs).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    IMO if you are running at a speed that you can still walk then you cant claim it as running. it's more uncomfortable because it's less efficient

i'm 5'5 and a speed of 5.0 is on the borderline of walking and jogging. i'm really not sure what the difference between jogging and running is but i actually dont feel like like i'm running (propelling myself forward to keep from falling over) until around 6.0. Running turns into sprint territory once i reach 7.5