Anyone give you a hard time about counting calories?

Options
I get teased a bit from some friends when they see my logging on MFP to track calories.
Maybe cause I'm a guy and they see calorie counting as un guy like? Who knows.
I just know I wish I started years ago. Like the old saying goes, "If you can't track it, you can't manage it"
I love the math approach to the weight equation.

Replies

• kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I work at a group home where we have to cook for our residents, and the staff usually eats with the residents. Unfortunately (and despite my protests), we are pretty much locked in to cooking ridiculously unhealthy crap for our residents on a regular basis, so I bring my own food and log it. My coworkers give me a wicked hard time, ragging on me about how I'm "too good for them."

And yet the ones who pick on me the most are the ones who are jealous of me losing weight ... funny how that works, lol.
  • msemejuru
    Options
    Tell folks you are tracking sodium for your blood pressure. I started MFP to track my sodium and stayed to drop some pounds. No one gave me a hard time after I said it was for sodium. It makes folks shut up because they think you'll have a stroke!
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely! I work with all these skinny, pretty little things that never think twice about what they're putting into their bodies and they tell me all the time that the donut won't hurt or diet food is boring and they have no IDEA how i haven't lost my mind counting and logging everything I eat...super supportive LOL
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I got teased for awhile by coworkers. Until they saw the results. Now they ask for the app info and tips. :)
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I get teased a bit from some friends when they see my logging on MFP to track calories.
    Maybe cause I'm a guy and they see calorie counting as un guy like? Who knows.
    I just know I wish I started years ago. Like the old saying goes, "If you can't track it, you can't manage it"
    I love the math approach to the weight equation.

they are probably just jealous that they aren't getting healthy like you are ... do what is best for you
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I got teased for awhile by coworkers. Until they saw the results. Now they ask for the app info and tips. :)

I love that ... love proving them WRONG. woohoo. ;)
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Everyone at my church because "I don't need to lose any weight." My in-laws (all 10 of them) , which are on the heavier side also act like counting calories is a sin.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Who is gonna be laughing while you are showing off your hot bod by the pool this summer?? LOL
  • k8smama
    Options
    I just vented about this. My husband gives me the hardest time about it. I'm always looking at serving sizes and logging what I eat. It drives me crazy sometimes, the snide remarks and eye rolls and exaggerated sighs when I measure out a serving. Most of the time I just shrug it off and figure that if I don't do what's best for me, then nobody else will. Keep it up and good luck!!
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    I work at a group home where we have to cook for our residents, and the staff usually eats with the residents. Unfortunately (and despite my protests), we are pretty much locked in to cooking ridiculously unhealthy crap for our residents on a regular basis, so I bring my own food and log it. My coworkers give me a wicked hard time, ragging on me about how I'm "too good for them."

And yet the ones who pick on me the most are the ones who are jealous of me losing weight ... funny how that works, lol.

How funny. I hear similar remarks all day too from my co-workers. They complain they can't lose weight while unpacking their lunch from McDonalds.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!!! My work feeds us every Thursday - I used to eat whatever we had (usually something fried) until I joined this site. Now, I religously pack my lunch every Thursday. Since I have joined the site 3 weeks ago I've turned down Pizza (twice) and Nathan's hotdogs, and today it was Hamburgers and French Fries from a mom and pop burger joint.

Instead I had spinach salad with fresh strawberries, blue cheese, walnuts and poppyseed dressing. I didn't feel gross after lunch and my diary is happy at the end of the day and tomorrow my scale will be happy which makes me happy!! :bigsmile:
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Everyone teases me. I have no support, but I keep on keepin on.
    [img][/img]
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I think it's people that don't think it's a guy thing as well as people that don't even bother doing so therefore have to do something to make themselves feel better. I imagine that the stereotype for men that work out would be something like bulky men hanging around the gym grunting. In any case, most average people that do not need to lose weight or aren't particular about how they are staying fit, think calorie counting is anal.

I, like yourself, wished I had taken this approach at least ten years ago! It would definitely have prevented the long slide to my current unspectacular state :).
    Live and learn!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I admit, my husband get's it worse than me from his 7 brothers. They are always teasing about how they forgot he can't eat, he's on a diet. The don't notice that he is healthier than all of them, on no type of medication and only about 7 pounds away from his goal weight. They on the other had brag about eating over 5000 calories a day. I want to say duh, I can tell.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I just think there isn't a single person out there who doesn't wish they weighed a couple lbs less. And that's where their criticism really comes from.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't get teased, but I do get the "oh, you don't have to track today!" Dude. There is always a birthday, wedding, holiday, or special event happening. My family is huge. There are four birthdays in March. There are six in October. That's ten birthday cakes in two months.
  • rschmmidt
    Options
    Sure. My husband thinks this is stupid. But, who cares? I'm doing what's good for me and that's what counts!
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad. Why do people have to be so ignorant? It's ridiculous. They are just jealous, that's all. I get the "looks" because I am not very overweight. I came to MFP because I am soooo sick of gaining and losing 15 pounds each and every year. I have learned so much in my short time here and am eating so much better than I have in my 38 years on this planet. I still would like to lose about 10 pounds, and this time I'd like to keep it off!

So everyone, don't listen to the non-supporters. Most of them should be here with us anyway. And deep down, they sure know it. But are too scared to try.

Cheers.To.Us.
    Jennifer
  • steph_669
    steph_669 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get that, "oh u have to do that everyday?" Then they throw at me everything they saw me eat. In a way, I feeel like it's them being jerks, but I'm like OH ya, thanks, and add it as we talk about.
    U know what, I think it's like this. You can't be afraid of what u log in cuz if you can't be honest with yourself, then who can you be honest with!! I'd only be cheating myself.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time holding myself accountable for a very long time, and that's why I started this site. I don't get too much flack, but I don't get a lot of support for my calorie counting either. I think people are wondering why I'm so obsessed because I am losing weight and shrinking where I should be, but I'm far from my goal yet. I think people also wonder why I'm not stopping yet... little do they know my ongoing struggles... but it's ok, I just keep plugging away. I've learned that it's all about me in this journey, and what other people think or say means very little, since they don't live in my body!!! Just keep plugging along...