Homemade *ice* cream, fun for kids!

Options
jessmomof3
jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
For those of you trapped under feet of snow (like me in the midwest!), here's a good recipe for your kiddos!! (and you can make a healthier version for yourself!). My girls have strep throat so this was an awesome treat for them this afternoon!

4 cups of clean snow
1/2 cup fat free Half and Half (you can just use another half cup of milk, but it really looked like ice cream)
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together the half and half, milk, sugar, and vanilla in bowl. Put 1 cup of snow (or more!) in 4 bowls. Add 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to each bowl. Let the kids mix it together until it is ice cream consistency. Top w/ chocolate syrup or other toppings if desired (my girls love Hershey's Special Dark syrup). Still a lot less calories than regular store bought ice cream!!

Nutrition Facts: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving

Calories 82.1
Total Fat 0.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 1.5 mg
Sodium 43.4 mg
Potassium 46.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
Sugars 16.1 g
Protein 2.0 g
Vitamin A 3.2 %
Vitamin B-12 2.2 %
Vitamin B-6 0.6 %
Vitamin C 0.0 %
Vitamin D 4.0 %
Vitamin E 0.1 %
Calcium 7.6 %
Copper 0.2 %
Folate 0.4 %
Iron 0.1 %
Magnesium 0.8 %
Manganese 0.0 %
Niacin 0.1 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.1 %
Phosphorus 2.9 %
Riboflavin 3.5 %
Selenium 1.5 %
Thiamin 0.4 %
Zinc 0.8 %

To make a lower cal version, use fat free milk (almond, soy, whatever you like) and your favorite sweetener. I was really amazed at how the snow really made it into ice cream!!

Replies

• deanneashley
    Options
    Thats such a cool idea!!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I have four dogs so not so trusting of the snow, I will try with shaved ice.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.... LOVE snow cream! We don't get snow very often here so it is a special treat!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hmmmm, I have four dogs so not so trusting of the snow, I will try with shaved ice.

Ooh, that is funny!! Yes, stay away from the yellow snow!!!! :ohwell:
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I make Ice Cream the raw food way - no sugar, no milk, no unneccesary anything. I use an ice cream maker that I got really cheap at the store (you just freeze the top). Generally I just blend up some fruit in a blender and put it in the machine, and it comes out awesome. The only ingredient is fruit - and everyone loves it. Plus, you don't have to worry about people who are lactose intolerant.

I also have some ice popsicle holders. Usually I blend strawberries and some cantoloupe or pineapple and fill those. Again, the only ingredient is fruit.
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    sounds delish....!!!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Bump - great activity to have kids :) Am looking after a few this weekend - they will love me with this! LOL
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lack of snow is definitely not an issue here this year. The snow banks are past my waist and I am 5'9''. That sounds like such a great idea to try with the kids and I am sure we will have a fresh snowfall to try it on very soon.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I make Ice Cream the raw food way - no sugar, no milk, no unneccesary anything. I use an ice cream maker that I got really cheap at the store (you just freeze the top). Generally I just blend up some fruit in a blender and put it in the machine, and it comes out awesome. The only ingredient is fruit - and everyone loves it. Plus, you don't have to worry about people who are lactose intolerant.

I also have some ice popsicle holders. Usually I blend strawberries and some cantoloupe or pineapple and fill those. Again, the only ingredient is fruit.

Yep, we did *snow cones* too w/ real 100% juice for the *syrup*. :bigsmile:
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Oooh I am trying this today! I am a kid inside, so I'll def enjoy it. have some almond milk and dark chocolate syrup that will be perfect ;)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Snow cream tastes very yummy with a touch of vodka for the adults as a treat as well:) Oh yeah, and don't forget to add a cherry on top. !

***for the cheat day of course:)~