Breathing technique when exercising

whatupskinnyjeans
whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm working on building endurance and trying to focus on my breathing pattern but finding it hard- does anyone have tips for me? Should I first work on breathing then speed? I'm not sure what the right way to train is. Thanks :)

Replies

• Bump - I like to know also
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 666 Member
    Stole this from yahoo answers ...

Excellent question.

Learning how to breathe properly which exercising is extremely important. To breathe correctly when working against considerable resistance, it's crucial to exhale slowly throughout the full range of motion on the concentric or positive motion and inhale deeply and smoothly on the eccentric or negative motion. The principal reason for correct breathing is to control core pressure...the pressure in the thoracic and abdominal cavities.

When straining your core to support muscular activity, the core muscles contract which creates internal core pressure which in turn puts pressure on the heart muscle and other tissues and organs and helps force blood from the heart to the head and extremities. That creates a spike in blood pressure which can be softened or reduced by exhaling much like a hard bump in the road is softened by a shock absorber. If done in a coordinated and smooth manner, it also controls core pressure in a smooth manner which relieves what could otherwise be gut busting strains when doing all out power lifts.

Also, if the exhaling is done on the concentric or positive motion, the obvious place to do the inhaling is the eccentric or negative motion when the muscles are relaxing. Inhaling is a good time to work the lungs, rib cage, intercostals, diaphragm (the largest muscle in the body), etc. by forcing them through their full range of motion repeatedly as part of a routine. That deep breathing promotes good pulmonary health as a side benefit to exercise...just one more reason why smooth, coordinated, properly executed and deep breathing is an important part of any exercise.

If the core pressure is maintained through improper breathing during heavy lifting over a long period of time, it can result problems from hernias to ruptures to tears or even stroke especially in older people. That's why it's important to learn and use proper breathing whether the resistance is part of a workout or just doing heavy lifting on the job or around the house.

Always breath deep and exhale slowly and smoothly throughout the range of motion in a coordinated manner while working against the resistance. Incorrect breathing, gasping, panting, etc. is a common problem with poorly trained body builders and gym rats. Proper breathing should be as important as any other part of an exercise regimen.

Good luck and good health!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101020220533AA3yiTm

Also to work on your breathing

http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/brethexr.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdiMjSgItg
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    It's my understanding that you should work on breathing first. You should be able to breathe comfortably through your nose, and if not, slow it down a bit. Leads to better overall performance and is MUCH better for your lungs.

I have a friend that has discovered he has exercise induced asthma, and it was exacerbated by the fact that he was a "mouth" breather. Our noses are pretty good filters, but if you are a "mouth" breather, a lot more crap gets into your lungs. I'm pretty good about focusing on my breathing the first few miles of my runs, but my mind tends to wander after about a half an hour. I really should pay more attention to it.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Stole this from yahoo answers ...

Excellent question.

Learning how to breathe properly which exercising is extremely important. To breathe correctly when working against considerable resistance, it's crucial to exhale slowly throughout the full range of motion on the concentric or positive motion and inhale deeply and smoothly on the eccentric or negative motion. The principal reason for correct breathing is to control core pressure...the pressure in the thoracic and abdominal cavities.

When straining your core to support muscular activity, the core muscles contract which creates internal core pressure which in turn puts pressure on the heart muscle and other tissues and organs and helps force blood from the heart to the head and extremities. That creates a spike in blood pressure which can be softened or reduced by exhaling much like a hard bump in the road is softened by a shock absorber. If done in a coordinated and smooth manner, it also controls core pressure in a smooth manner which relieves what could otherwise be gut busting strains when doing all out power lifts.

Also, if the exhaling is done on the concentric or positive motion, the obvious place to do the inhaling is the eccentric or negative motion when the muscles are relaxing. Inhaling is a good time to work the lungs, rib cage, intercostals, diaphragm (the largest muscle in the body), etc. by forcing them through their full range of motion repeatedly as part of a routine. That deep breathing promotes good pulmonary health as a side benefit to exercise...just one more reason why smooth, coordinated, properly executed and deep breathing is an important part of any exercise.

If the core pressure is maintained through improper breathing during heavy lifting over a long period of time, it can result problems from hernias to ruptures to tears or even stroke especially in older people. That's why it's important to learn and use proper breathing whether the resistance is part of a workout or just doing heavy lifting on the job or around the house.

Always breath deep and exhale slowly and smoothly throughout the range of motion in a coordinated manner while working against the resistance. Incorrect breathing, gasping, panting, etc. is a common problem with poorly trained body builders and gym rats. Proper breathing should be as important as any other part of an exercise regimen.

Good luck and good health!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101020220533AA3yiTm

Also to work on your breathing

http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/brethexr.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdiMjSgItg

If you are running, what is the positive motion vs. the negative motion?
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    In through the nose and out through the mouth works great for me for both cardio and resistance training. I don't know whether that is proper or not. I always blow out on exertion (weight lifting). It's interesting to see everyone's replies! Good question:)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Here's a Runners World article that talks about breathing and running. Interestingly enough it says mouth breathing is OK. I had read an article awhile ago, that said it was better to breathe through you nose, and after what my buddy told me this fall about his exercise asthma, I have really been focusing on it. Maybe what I'm doing isn't so bad afterall.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-369-370--12374-0,00.html
  • Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Breathing patterns are unique to every individual. My Vo2 max is in the high 60's so when I breath is going to be completely different than someone who is average at say 35. It also depends on the activity. The way I breath in the water is different than on the bike and when I go to the run.

So let me give you some general guidelines.

1) Focus on breathing in to your belly. Put one hand on your chest and one on your tummy. Take slow deep breaths and focus on feeling your tummy rise and fall rather than your chest. Read up on Diaphragmatic Breathing for homework.

2) Build a solid aerobic base (Periodzation training). You need a solid month or so just building distance and keeping your HR below the Anaerobic threshold. This is immensely important. Too many folks go out there and want to go hard right away (for speed) and this is a bad bad BAD trap. Take your time and build your base. Your homework, read up on building an aerobic base.

3) There are some that say breath in through your nose and out through your mouth is the best way to ensure you fill the bottom lobs of your lungs (again Diaphragmatic Breathing ) but I have never personally found anything to this. There are times when I will go mouth only and others when I am still through my nose at 87-90% of MaxHR. Just depends.

4) Lastly, there is a great technique called symmetrical breathing. This is huge if you are on a bike or swimming but it is applicable for other disciplines.
    I will give you an example. If you are right handed and you are exerting (for instance) on a bike or climbing stairs, there is a good chance that you will exhale on your dominant foot every time. If you are right handed, it will be your right leg. So, try to focus on switching which leg is pushing off when you breath. This is a great tool to help you focus on breathing rather than the "pain" of the activity. On a bike, do 8 exhales focusing on the right leg then switch and focus exhaling when the left leg comes down. Doing this also helps to train your legs evenly.

If you do nothing else, and if anyone is still reading, get a heart rate monitor, learn how to use it and do item 2. Building a solid aerobic base is the most important thing you can do if you are planning on making fitness a part of your life.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    So I'm thinking that I HAVE been going to fast gotta work on the aerobic- so does that mean no anaerobic sprint while walking- also it's hard for me to do card and breath slow when my heart in beating fast
This discussion has been closed.