Meds and weight gain/loss

Options
Anyone out there know anything about the medicine called Nortriptyline? Or has ever taken it? I look online and there are a lot of different things talking about weight gain or loss.. Loss would be nice.. gain..not so much considering I am here and trying to LOSE weight..not gain! any information would be helpful..thanks!

Replies

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Anyone out there know anything about the medicine called Nortriptyline? Or has ever taken it? I look online and there are a lot of different things talking about weight gain or loss.. Loss would be nice.. gain..not so much considering I am here and trying to LOSE weight..not gain! any information would be helpful..thanks!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    nope, sorry, haven't heard of it, but what about Alli?? I have heard both good and bad. Good when you take it like you should and eat right, bad when you take it off plan nad still think you can pig out.

I think most diet products are that way.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nortriptyline is an anti- depressant also used for certain types of severe headaches. It is not recommended for weight loss. Whether you lose or gain weight on any drug depends on how your body reacts to the drug. I was on it 15 years ago for severe cluster headaches and didn't gain anything, but I also had an extremely high metabolism then.
  • LML79
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful information. I also deal with cluster headaches and really bad migraines.. Have been on Nortriptyline for about 2 months now and no migraines!! But the Dr. recently upped my dose so I am hoping the side effects stay to just the dry mouth..no weight gain yet but now I am being EXTRA careful just in case ( boy this weight loss deal is not easy hahaha!)
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Oh geez. I get those too. Poor girl. I hope they go away.

Shoo headache....shoo, shoo!:smile:
  • LML79
    Options
    Tell me about it!! I've been dealing with cluster headaches and migraines since 12 years old.. ( migraines run in my family..yuck!) But I have to say this med works! I have yet to have a bad headache since I've started. Some people don't leave their house without their cell phones.. I didn't leave my house without my bottle of Ibuprofin! But I am always weary with meds and weight..the whole reason I am here is to shed the pounds... not take a med to gain em back!