Brown rice

Options
I want to make burritos tomorrow night for dinner, and I'd like to put rice in them but all we have is brown rice. Would that taste ok in a burrito? I tried making brown rice a while back and I found it to be pretty gross....though I didn't do anything to it, just ate it plain. Would it taste good mixed with the ground beef, taco seasoning, cheese etc?

Replies

• purplepanda
    purplepanda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've found that the individual size minute brown rice cups which take just a minute to cook in the microwave are the perfect way to fix brown rice. I have used the rice, mixed with beans and cheese to make really good burritos. I think it would go great with whatever you normally put into your burritos
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try cooking it in beef or chicken stock instead of water, or add a teaspoon of beef or chicken soup base per cup of water used. You can also add seasoning to the rice to help like: chili powder, garlic, onion, cumin, etc.
  • MsMoodle
    MsMoodle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I make burritos, I cook my ground beef and drain it very good. Then I put in a can of beans (kidney, black, pinto, etc- whatever you prefer), brown rice, and the taco seasoning. Sometimes I fry my hamburger with 1/2 an onion and sometimes I put a can of mild green chiles in. Once the meat, beans, rice and seasoning are all combined and cooked (i cook them about 3-5 minutes after I add all ingredients) I think it tastes just fine. The rice adds a little more "bulk" to the taco/burrito and helps to fill you up and feel satisfied longer I think. Hope this helps ;) Oh, I usually use the Uncle Ben's brown rice...
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice. I like to get it from the freezer section, it comes in a steam bag. I usually add a little spray butter and garlic seasoning and its delicious. And yes its good with ground beef. Hope this helps
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I use brown rice with Mexican food all the time, and my family loves it. But I think white rice is nasty - like eating paste. It might take a little while to adjust to a different kind of rice. Also, how you cook it could make a big difference. My favorite is an organic short grain brown rice steamed in a rice cooker. I can eat it plain, right out of the steamer, because I like it so much. Regular boiled rice... not so much, lol.
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you have a rice cooker? I made spanish style rice in it with brown rice, just by adding tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and diced onions. Would be delicious in a burrito.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I make burritos, I cook my ground beef and drain it very good. Then I put in a can of beans (kidney, black, pinto, etc- whatever you prefer), brown rice, and the taco seasoning. Sometimes I fry my hamburger with 1/2 an onion and sometimes I put a can of mild green chiles in. Once the meat, beans, rice and seasoning are all combined and cooked (i cook them about 3-5 minutes after I add all ingredients) I think it tastes just fine. The rice adds a little more "bulk" to the taco/burrito and helps to fill you up and feel satisfied longer I think. Hope this helps ;) Oh, I usually use the Uncle Ben's brown rice...

Sounds great, thanks!