Forcing myself to eat. Any help?

Options
This week I am not very hungry. I am not having any cravings and it is common going to bed without getting my 1,200 calories (not including the extra from exercise). Even now, I wrote on my diary three things I haven't even eaten yet but know I need to before bed. Yet, still under calories and I don't want that food.

What is going on? Is my body going to start thinking it's starving? I'm working out- what else can I do to create an appetite?

Thank you, anyone!

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem, but then i started eating 6 meals a day with calories equally spread out. always felt full and got at least 1200-1500 calories :]
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The way to fix this isn't to force yourself to overeat. It's to eat higher calorie healthy foods throughout the day. Making sure the foods you are eating have enough calories is as important as making sure they don't have too much. Throughout the day, try foods like peanut butter, almonds and different kinds of nuts, avocado, eggs, milk, cheese, cereal, yogurt, bananas and oranges, fruit juice, and other healthy but calorie dense foods so that you can hit your calorie count while not overstuffing yourself.

A bunch of people will get on here and tell you to listen to your body, but that's not entirely true, your body needs those calories, even if you are filling it up by eating lots of foods that are low calories.
  • aschroyer
    Options
    I have that same problem too. Sometimes I just dont want to eat and feel like gagging at the thought of food. My appetite always comes back after a while(sometimes a week or 2 later). But to fill the gap of not wanting to eat, I take daily vitamins and eat protein bars and drinks. Its better than nothing, but at least your body isnt completely starving. eat whatever you can stomach, soups are real light, so that might help. I always thought I was crazy, its nice to know someone else experiences this crazy phenomenon too.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. I eat when I'm hungry, but I could easily get by on like 400 calories a day these days and feel perfectly fulfilled. Then I try to force myself to eat more, but I...don't really want it most days. I mean I could eat higher calorie stuff (like eating out instead of cooking my own stuff, it always has more cals) but that seems like the wrong way to fix the problem. I know I should eat more, but I admit I'm still struggling with the 'eat more to lose more' mentality too--I mean, everyone always talks about cutting calories on diets and here I am looking for ways to eat more?

Of course, when I go out to eat it's an entirely different story, lol!
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you. All of this helps.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    Options
    The way to fix this isn't to force yourself to overeat. It's to eat higher calorie healthy foods throughout the day. Making sure the foods you are eating have enough calories is as important as making sure they don't have too much. Throughout the day, try foods like peanut butter, almonds and different kinds of nuts, avocado, eggs, milk, cheese, cereal, yogurt, bananas and oranges, fruit juice, and other healthy but calorie dense foods so that you can hit your calorie count while not overstuffing yourself.

A bunch of people will get on here and tell you to listen to your body, but that's not entirely true, your body needs those calories, even if you are filling it up by eating lots of foods that are low calories.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this on a daily basis, I never get 1200 in and on the days I workout which is a lot I have no apatite at all.so I do protein drinks and eat small stuff.todays count 519 so ur not alone :smile:
  • BirdsofaFeather
    Options

Sorry, only been on here 30 days.
    So, can I go to bed with 988 calories and try tomorrow with avocados, almonds, and such? (I eat smart balance peanut butter everyday). Or should I force myself to eat 300 more calories?