When will i see a difference?

Options
So far I've lost 67 pounds. I'm extremely happy about it, but I dont look any different. I know underneath all this I have a small frame, is this a reason why I'm not seeing a difference?

Replies

• MissLadyInWaiting
    Options
    are your clothes loser? you might not be able to notice yet because you look in the mirror every day. but if you have a before picture compare that with now and you might notice it. otherwise i suggest comparing clothes you wear now + clothes you wore before.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Patience is key! A lot of what you've lost may be water weight, so expect a lot of fluctuation. Weight gain/loss looks different on everyone.
    If you want faster visible results, consider strength training. You'll build muscle, which will give you a sleeker, toned look the closer you get to a healthy weight.
  • jittythekitty
    jittythekitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Compare pictures. Thats the best way to tell.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You lost a lot of weight! You may not see the difference because you look at yourself everyday--unlike a friend who may only see you once in awhile. Recommend taking some photos of yourself and measurements every couple of weeks. You'll really notice it then!

God Bless!

Shawn
  • dr1981
    dr1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I've lost over 60lbs and I really couldn't feel a difference. I only knew I lost so much weight because of how loose my clothes had become. And because I see myself everyday I wouldn't notice anything different. But some friends that I would see from time to time could definitely see the weight coming off. You have to compare some old pictures with some new ones.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I dunno about the water weight part when you've lost almost 70#'s. Usually that's a 5-10# range. :-)

What I've heard is that:
    -The more you have to lose, the longer it takes to be physically evident
    -People don't recognize their own weight loss due to seeing themselves in the mirror every day - but run across someone that hasn't seen you in 3 months, and you'll get a very different reaction
    -We are our own worst critic and therefore, we may *choose* (in a sense) to not see the losses
    -Agreed on the clothing fitting differently
    -Agreed on weight training, plus taht will burn more calories faster

Congrats on your successes. I know it must be frustrating to not feel like you can see the results. Have you taken before & after pictures? You should. Every 10 lbs lost, take a picture. Even if you don't post it, it'll help you keep perspective on what 10 lbs can look like.

Keep going - you're doing great!!!
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When I lost weight I thought for sure I was going to fit in the next jeans size down. Well, when I tried them on, they DID go on, BUT I couldn't zip them up.
    So to sum it up - yes I did lose weight, but by trying on the next size down, I knew I had a little bit more to get them on AND be able to zip them up. I felt proud I could even get into them, because I couldn't before.
    Now they are hanging in my closet all nice and ironed, and waiting for me to get into them which is my goal.
    Every time I open my closet door, it reminds me of how good I'm doing, and how I WILL be able to fit nicely in them soon.
    If you don't have before and after pictures, may I suggest trying on clothes a size or two down from what you normally wear?
    If you can fit into something you haven't been able to - then be assured you've lost.
    Don't depend on the scale. If you've been working out, remember muscle is heavier than fat, and if you've built muscle, the scale could go up or stay the same due to muscle gain.
    As others have said too - we always lose water first when we're trying to lose weight.
    Don't be too harsh on yourself.
    This is good you posted this to get ideas of what others do and think.
    Good luck, and God bless you with your goal. You can do it!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Photos. Just today I had an official photo taken for work and when looked at it...I was happy to see that my face was much slimmer than before..not to mention my military uniform is too large now and I'll need to have it tailored before doing another photo.

Nice job with 60lb loss. Keep at it. The more you loose, the easier your life will be.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is hard to see for yourself but easier for others to see.

I know I've gone down in sizes - jeans took a while, but I have dropped a couple since I started. My big eye opener moment with clothes was shopping for something for my running club's awards banquet. For the first time in I don't know how long I was able to shop in the regular size section of the store. Even knowing I was able to (ok, first time other than coats, which is how I knew I could), I kept half-expecting one of the sales ladies to tap me on the shoulder and say "Excuse me, Miss? The Women's sizes are on the 7th floor," or to be stopped going into the dressing room. Imagine my surprise and delight when I was able to ask the woman if they had what I'd taken in with me in a smaller size! WOW!

And then there are moments like the one I had on Sunday. I was walking down the street and passing stores with windows. Since they were places that were closed (it was Sunday and in a business-y part of town) I could see reflections in the window as I passed. And honestly? I didn't recognize myself. I guess i was out of my normal context or something, and that's why I saw the weight loss. When I realized it was ME I was seeing, I practically jumped up and down. I still have a way to go, but it made me so happy!!

Good luck to you!!!!
  • msmitch
    Options
    Thank you all soo much! I keep thinking with thos 60 pounds had to go from somewhere. I am the one who is normally behind the camera, so I guess I need to step in front to see if can actually see a difference. I did measure when I first started this, and I have lost a few inches from my waist, & even some from my neck, but my hips seem to be a different story. Guess I just need to work harder & it will come off everywhere eventually! Thanks for the ideas & support! It's a great motivator!