Replace your bread with these light alternatives!!!

Options
An easier way to eat light- replace your bready foods with some of these!!!! I love Belgian endive. SO GOOD.

http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/03/18/bread-alternatives-fill-it-up/?icid=main|aim|dl8|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kitchendaily.com%2F2010%2F03%2F18%2Fbread-alternatives-fill-it-up%2F

They leave out spaghetti squash though, a squash which's insides turn into a spaghetti like consistancy when scraped with a fork, and pasta sauce & cheese can be added to make it just like real spaghetti but with a fraction of the calories. Fave new food!

Oh! and using whole romaine lettuce leaves instead of wheat/flour wraps.

Hope you enjoy. Any others you use/can think of? I'd love to know what you guys use instead of breads/grains!

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I eat ezekiel bread. I dont know if that counts....
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't give up bread! I love bread like some people love chocolate! I have however, changed my sandwich bread to the Sara Lee 45 calories and wonderful wheat bread....it's pretty good and 90 calories for two slices!
  • doesgo
    doesgo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the Sara Lee stuff mostly as well, along with some Village Hearth Light Italian (40 calories per slice). Coming from some 120-calories-per-slice Brownberry(?) Oat Nut bread it was tough to make the initial switch, but now I really like it.

I've always been a big pasta guy too (which is partly why I got to be >50 pounds overweight!), and I've not yet found a suitable replacement, but I bought some tofu shirataki today. A friend said it was a decent substitute, so I'll be trying it out soon. 20 calories per serving!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason to give up bread. Yeah, it has carbs and calories. But, you need carbs. Your brain runs exclusively on carbs. And as long as you're eating whole grain bread you're getting lots of good fiber.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I can't give up my bread either. I eat Healthy Life whole wheat bread which is 35 calories a slice and low carbs too. Great ideas though :happy:
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I can't give up bread! I love bread like some people love chocolate! I have however, changed my sandwich bread to the Sara Lee 45 calories and wonderful wheat bread....it's pretty good and 90 calories for two slices!

mmm bread! I feel the same way. I eat my ezekial bread everyday - (i'm trying to switch to oats for breakfast) but toast makes me happy! I will definitely try some of these suggestions! :)
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    bread and bread stuff, like tortillas and rolls and muffins and bagels etc, always seem to make me gain weight! I love the spaghetti squash, it is really good and my kids even like it! Ezekial tortillas are awesome and i love the idea for lettuce wraps, im gunna try that one tomorrow!
    thanks for the tips!!

Jaime
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thomas's 100 cal muffins are much more satisfying to me than a sandwich thin..... and those were a replacement for soft taco sized flour tortillas.... sometimes, though, I just make bread.
  • cheangela
    Options
    I'm jealous of y'all that have not been riddled with the wonderment that is "gluten intolerance."

My favorite grain alternative is using sliced zucchini instead of noodles in my lasagna.

I've also found that green peppers are an adequate substitute for fatty tortilla chips when the munchies hit and an unfortunate jar of salsa is in my wake.

Poor salsa. It never had a chance.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I NEVER SAID I GAVE UP BREAD!!!!!!!!! I still eat an english muffin every morning, but bread type foods have alot of calories compared to their healthier vegetable alternatives. THATS ALL I WAS SAYING! jeez
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I NEVER SAID I GAVE UP BREAD!!!!!!!!! I still eat an english muffin every morning, but bread type foods have alot of calories compared to their healthier vegetable alternatives. THATS ALL I WAS SAYING! jeez
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    There's really no reason to give up bread. Yeah, it has carbs and calories. But, you need carbs. Your brain runs exclusively on carbs. And as long as you're eating whole grain bread you're getting lots of good fiber.

actually your brain runs on fat and omega 3s, and you can get more fiber from fruit than any bread, AND I never said I didn't eat bread.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I'm jealous of y'all that have not been riddled with the wonderment that is "gluten intolerance."

My favorite grain alternative is using sliced zucchini instead of noodles in my lasagna.

I've also found that green peppers are an adequate substitute for fatty tortilla chips when the munchies hit and an unfortunate jar of salsa is in my wake.

Poor salsa. It never had a chance.

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. Yes its funny that even people who can tolerate gluten dont know that gluten actual prevents the absorbtion of nutrients to your body. So even if you can tolerate it, its not doing any good, except for its protien i suppose.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    bread and bread stuff, like tortillas and rolls and muffins and bagels etc, always seem to make me gain weight! I love the spaghetti squash, it is really good and my kids even like it! Ezekial tortillas are awesome and i love the idea for lettuce wraps, im gunna try that one tomorrow!
    thanks for the tips!!

Jaime

No problem! I want to try Ezekial tortillas.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have had lap band surgery, so I cannot have much bread or pasta (truly more sad about the bread than the pasta ;-). I do like the sandwhich thins and bagel thins....although half of one is usually more than enough. I make my own "lunchables" by using whole wheat crackers to eat with my turkey & cheese (it's even tastier when you spread some light laughing cow cheese on the cracker, then top with turkey & then some cheddar cheese ;-) I've recently discovered these rice crackers though....so yummy with chicken salad (which I now add cranberries to --thanks Costco for the idea!). They are super thin and crispy and trust me, chicken salad has never tasted better!