I stress eat

Options
I finally realized that when I've been hurt or deeply disappointed I can't eat. If I'm stressed, anxious or excited I eat and eat! What are some of the things you've done to overcome stress eating? I eat healthy, just too much of it! I'll be the first one to say, replace it with something that's good for you but apparently, I haven't decided what that will be.

Replies

• Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Well, I definitely stress eat! This last week has been terrible! Little things build up and then BAM!!!!....and I'm out there shoving food in my face! =\

I think there are some things that I could be doing differently....Like, taking some time to myself, so that all of these little things don't have the chance to add up together to a big binge. Another diversion is to pick up a health magazine or book....It's hard to binge when you're looking at healthy fit people!

Journaling is another way to stop the munchies! I may try this one myself.....a journal about your feelings could help you discover a way to deal with the stress and anxiety other than with food! (Okay....that's what I'm going to start tomorrow!)
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I like to make my own popcorn. You can eat a lot, control the salt and its very filling. Some times its just a matter of staying busy. Reach for the water.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the stress eating problem. Most of the time now I handle it with gum. I also try to have some foods ready for a quick treat that are healthy. Being prepared is very helpful. I save most of my snacks for nighttime when I am most likely to go bananas. Good luck!
  • healthygirltx
    healthygirltx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just the fact that you have made this realization is paramount. This is all about behavior. The good news is, you have to power to change your behavior. You can determine first and foremost how you will react to emotions. If you are feeling stressed- what are some other ways you can react to that stress? Go for a walk, call a friend, listen to music, go to the gym and pound it out on the treadmill...whatever. Anxiety--same thing. There are other ways to deal with negative emotions--but it does require stopping yourself from going down that old road. It sounds like you have already made healthy changes. You can do this too!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house & walk. Take a bottle of water with you & hit the pavement.
    Extra makes gum called Dessert Delights & they are wonderful, just don't eat the whole pack at once.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    when i get like taht i love some good ole shredded lettuce to munch on. yes i feel like a cow grazing as i eat grasslike lettuce all day but hey its food and you can eat aton of it. So i eat shredded luttuce and toss in some lemon juice so it keeps it fresh, tastes great, and has no calories. so its a win win
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I like to make my own popcorn. You can eat a lot, control the salt and its very filling. Some times its just a matter of staying busy. Reach for the water.

Maggie, popcorn is just one of my stress eating foods! lol my homemade popcorn is made with coconut oil & a pinch of sea salt! Delish! I ate at least 6 cups tonight! I don't want to eat though. I want to get over the urge to eat.

Sporty, I love the journalling deal. In fact, I used to journal a lot several years ago and it really brought me through some difficult times. Mine were all prayer journals so even more spiritual :D Having a baby makes it a little difficult to go into that journal zone for me. I want absolute peace and tranquility. As I'm writing this out, I think you may have nailed it for me. You've probably noticed my posts have gotten longer lately. There's a lot of potential tension where I live...

for those who mentioned walking, in a normal setting I'd say that's a great activity. We do some walking but most of the time I fail in the evening when it's too dark and not the safest for me to walk outside. So perhaps we shouldn't put away that stationary bike but I should get my buttock in it and peddle some of the excitement :o)

It's nice to know I'm not the only one! We don't need more food than our body calls for but there is something missing that we turn to it. Does it boil down to expressing ourselves? Someone in my house told me I should talk to my husband. But my husband doesn't like to hear it over and over again like a girl likes to mill over it. So, I have to find another outlet. Journaling may just be the ticket that I've been needing! I need to express myself and get the pressure out in words!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    bump

still curious what others may be doing not to eat while stressed or excited ;o)