Ice-cream substitute!

k1979k
k1979k Posts: 94
edited September 23 in Recipes
I am a fan of ice-cream, but I really don't like putting all those preservatives and 'nasties' in to my body. Here's a great substitute:

400gms frozen fruit
1 egg white
40gms caster sugar

Put all ingredients in to a food processor and blend.
It takes about 5 minutes, and you have to stop and scrape the sides a few times, but eventually it turns in to a smooth, fluffy, creamy mixture which can be eaten straight away (although can be quite soft) or stored in a container in the freezer.

Depending on the type of fruit, this is approx 100 - 120 cals, 3 protein, 25 carbs, 1 fat per serve (serves 4). You could use stevia or another sweetener if you prefer, to reduce calories and carbs from sugar, but not having tried that I can't say whether it would be as nice.

I also found that if you use a sweeter fruit you can certainly get away with less sugar. I used a very ripe, sweet pineapple and used less sugar (about 30gms I think) and it was delicious. I made another batch with raspberries and used the 40gms because they were a bit tart. (I tried another batch with less, but hubby is a sugar fiend and noticed straight away that it 'wasn't sweet enough', although it was fine for me!)

A friend used nectarines and that was really tasty too. I think bananas would also be good. And mango - yum!! I'm planning on
getting creative and making a mix, like mango and pineapple. And I'm also going to gradually use less sugar so hubby gets used to it (he's just announced that he's going to start getting healthy - yay!! But he won't like sudden cessation of sugar, lol, so gradual steps is the way with him I think).

Might also try stevia instead of sugar; sugar is a drug for me - once i get started I just want more, so avoiding it is best!!

Hope you like it - I was amazed at how good it was, and how much like ice-cream it was!

Replies

• Mmm that sounds sooo good~
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    I just buy Worthenshaws. Vegan and low-cal.;p
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    BUmp it!!!
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    I was wondering about this the other night actually. I have a sweet tooth as well though I don't eat sweet in abundance. I just like having them around if I get a hankering for them.
    My question is, can you possibly make this in a blender?
  • k1979k
    KadieA - possibly.... the food processor whips it up nicely and makes it creamy and smooth, but give it a try in the blender. If nothing else it will still be tasty but perhaps just not smooth.
  • T7807
    T7807 Posts: 8
    Raw eggs are ok to eat? I thought that was risky. Is that different with egg beaters since they are processed differently
  • 4svalley
    4svalley Posts: 9 Member
    bump!
  • I made this last night and got into a big discussion with my wife and some friends about the "Raw Egg Danger". Found this information which makes it sound like it's not much of an issue. The eggs I'm using are farm fresh from a friend. I think I'll take my chances, it was a delicious snack

As for drawbacks, there’s the well-circulated salmonella risk, which isn’t the dire prospect it’s often made out to be. The risk has been estimated as 1 in 10,000 (CDC) or 1 in 30,000 (Risk Analysis journal). And though washing eggshells can reduce much of the risk, it doesn’t eliminate it entirely. Salmonella can be present in the yolk due to infection in the hen’s reproductive tissue.

Of course, not all eggs are created equal when it comes to salmonella or nutrition. Not only are organic, free range eggs more nutrient-dense, one study found them to be significantly less contaminated than battery cage hens. Hens that graze and eat a natural diet as well as have more space to roam (to avoid living in feces) are naturally healthier. While the survey determined a quarter of battery cage groups to be contaminated, only 5% of those that were both organic and free range showed contamination. (Free-range, non-organic came up at 6.5%.) Simple refrigeration can keep any salmonella bacteria from multiplying, which minimizes the risk of actual illness from contaminated eggs. In those who are very young, pregnant or immune-compromised, salmonella risk is more of a consideration.
  • k1979k
    Teresa7807 - I've never had a problem with raw eggs, but of course people have different opinions! We can't get egg beaters here so I don't know if it's any different. As Toddap said, there is a risk but it's pretty minimal and I think (THINK!!) there's more of a risk with raw egg yolk than egg white.

Thanks, Toddap, for the info; and I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
This discussion has been closed.