Can i put waitressing down as burning calories?

Options
I work part time (i'm a student) and work 9 hours a week in a small cafe. I do 4 hours on a thursday and 5 on a saturday. I don't get a break in any of these shifts and i am constantly moving around to make and serve food, clean tables, take rubbish out etc. I am not allowed to sit down during my shifts.

I have been putting the slowest speed walking i can find and putting in half the time that i worked so '120 mins of leisurely walking.'

Do you think this is appropriate to log as calorie burning? I normally do some form of exercise as well on those days as i work out 5 days a week.

Thanks!

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    yes, but i'd just change your reg activity level to fit in your goal thing.
  • GiGGiTy3434
    GiGGiTy3434 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've seen alot of waitresses and if you are very busy, it's definately some exercise.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and this is just my opinion, adding something that you do everyday to your calorie goal (unless you're an athlete) just gives you more calories than you actually can afford. I've been in your shoes and while it's exhausting work you actually don't burn as many calories as you think you would (sad, i know), and when I had it set to the light activity setting or whatever it was, I didn't lose any weight. I started over again this year and set it to no activity and i've lost 12 pounds in a month.

Also, you know that some days are busier than others, so some days you might actually get a little bit of exercise but that tuesday mid-afternoon shift probably won't make up for the calories you'll eat.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Clearly you're going to get alot of differing opinions on this, so first, I'll say - do what you think is right for you. :-) With that said...

I worked in restaurants for many years in a variety of capacities. Waitressing can be taxing & exausting work, and you are on your feet alot; I'd suggest putting in maybe a generic burn of half the calories at the slowing walking rate and here's why: there can be alot of standing involved, particularly during slow periods. You're standing while you're waiting for the cook to ring your dish, you're standing when you take orders, you're standing when you're prepping a salad, you're standing when you're refilling anything but ice tea, water & coffee. Because you only do it 9 hours a week, I do think that there is a valid burn to be taken into account.

Now, if you're bussing in between tables - and I don't mean just snagging the left-over flat ware and stray glass of water but I mean REALLY bussing or barbacking, then I'd put it in at about half again that slow walking pace you've got now. So - half less for just serving and half more for bussing. There's alot more activity as a busser and barback and alot more heavy lifting (the buss bins, glass trays, we often loaded the washers and brought out the salads & breads). As a barback, I'd haul 2-5 gallon buckets of ice up and down stairs several times in a row throughout the shift, bring up boxes of bottles plus bussing the bar. Now THAT was some serious work. lol...

Ultimately, it's abotu your heart rate. If your heart rate is going up for more than 20 minutes at a stretch, then yeah.. I'd count it. If not, then I probably wouldn't or if I did, not for too terribly much. Of course, if you got and HRM, you could wear it to work and know for sure. :-) (some people call them bodybuggs). If nothing else, you know you're toning like crazy and THAT is for sure valuable!
  • Jmbttnr2
    Options
    Clearly you're going to get alot of differing opinions on this, so first, I'll say - do what you think is right for you. :-) With that said...

I worked in restaurants for many years in a variety of capacities. Waitressing can be taxing & exausting work, and you are on your feet alot; I'd suggest putting in maybe a generic burn of half the calories at the slowing walking rate and here's why: there can be alot of standing involved, particularly during slow periods. You're standing while you're waiting for the cook to ring your dish, you're standing when you take orders, you're standing when you're prepping a salad, you're standing when you're refilling anything but ice tea, water & coffee. Because you only do it 9 hours a week, I do think that there is a valid burn to be taken into account.

Now, if you're bussing in between tables - and I don't mean just snagging the left-over flat ware and stray glass of water but I mean REALLY bussing or barbacking, then I'd put it in at about half again that slow walking pace you've got now. So - half less for just serving and half more for bussing. There's alot more activity as a busser and barback and alot more heavy lifting (the buss bins, glass trays, we often loaded the washers and brought out the salads & breads). As a barback, I'd haul 2-5 gallon buckets of ice up and down stairs several times in a row throughout the shift, bring up boxes of bottles plus bussing the bar. Now THAT was some serious work. lol...

Ultimately, it's abotu your heart rate. If your heart rate is going up for more than 20 minutes at a stretch, then yeah.. I'd count it. If not, then I probably wouldn't or if I did, not for too terribly much. Of course, if you got and HRM, you could wear it to work and know for sure. :-) (some people call them bodybuggs). If nothing else, you know you're toning like crazy and THAT is for sure valuable!

I totally agree with the Heart rate!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had never thought about heart rate! I dont think mine goes up! And since i started putting it in last week as burning calories at work i haven't lost weight, i've gained nearly a lb. boo!
    Thanks guys!