Short on Calories, Money, and Time & Need Fiber and Protein?

Options
Short on Calories, Money, and Time & Need Fiber and Protein? I was when I finally got home from work after 7pm yesterday. My husband had gotten some brown rice cooked and I used

.5 cup brown rice
1.25 cups frozen broccoli
.33 cup frozen peas
1 small pouch of bumble bee tuna in water
1 Tbl Amino Acids
dash garlic powder

Heated the broccoli for a couple minutes covered in the microwave, added the peas and heated a little more, then mixed in the hot rice and tuna and amino acids and garlic powder and I have to say I was STUFFED when I finished and made my calorie goal! Cheap, relatively healthy, quick, with fiber & protein was a good enough idea to share. Hope it helps somebody!

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Ps. 264 calories total,
    8 grams Fiber
    26 grams Protein
  • cheangela
    Options
    Great "un-diet-y" food! So tasty and fun without any guilt.

If you're worried about sodium, tuna can be rinsed first before adding to a recipe and it will reduce the sodium 50-70% without degrading the taste too much.

Don't be afraid to test with more thermogenic spices/flavorings too! They are a great way to kick your internal bits into gear to burn some serious calories. Some of these flavorful additions include garlic, turmeric, cayanne pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar.
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like it !! Gonna have to give that one a try... thanks for sharing!
  • fitinmtl
    Options
    how about adding some slivered almonds?
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Great "un-diet-y" food! So tasty and fun without any guilt.

If you're worried about sodium, tuna can be rinsed first before adding to a recipe and it will reduce the sodium 50-70% without degrading the taste too much.

Don't be afraid to test with more thermogenic spices/flavorings too! They are a great way to kick your internal bits into gear to burn some serious calories. Some of these flavorful additions include garlic, turmeric, cayanne pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar.

Oooo I bet cumin, cilantro, and lime juice would be good! Ps. Good idea about sodium... but how do you rinse it without losing your tuna down the sink with the water?
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    how about adding some slivered almonds?

Toasted first to really bring out the flavor? Sounds like a good idea!