I am not sure if I am calculating my exercise correctly

CARNAT22
CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I have now started adding in my daily exercise and am surprised that my calories are going up?

I can totally understand on days when I do a 30 minute cardio work-out I will need a few more calories but I walk 40 minutes daily (slow to medium pace) and I don't actually consider this exercise? Should I enter this or not??

Thanks

Replies

• cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    I don't log my walking unless I go out for a walk as my daily exercise (on days when I don't do cardio) I do hours of walking each day with school runs and taking the children out for their play time but I don't include any of that I hope this helps
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    personally, i think you should enter even the smallest of exercises. i do alot of 2 minute things from wii fit, and 2 minutes and 4 calories burned is enough to enter..i bet it would help..best luck :)
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Consider anything that is outside of your normal daily activities as exercise. Especially if you put yourself into the system as sedentary.
  • I log all my walking bc I am burning calories whether I have to walk somewhere or I choose to just go walking.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    I always air on the side of caution when it comes to logging calories. I estimate that I probably stay under 200 cals every day just from the innaccuracy of the system. i.e. adding extra calories for foods I am not certain of and underestimating my exercise calories. Nothing like losing more weekly then you thought.
  • CARNAT22
    Well I do walk for the soul purpose of exercise.

I could get on a bus (5 minutes) but I opt to walk 20 minutes to and from station each day.

I have always done this though, even prior to deciding to loose weight. So it's exercise but also part of my daily routine if that makes sense?

I was under the impression I just had to log anything I do now in addition to my normal daily routine as it was prior to signing up here?
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    I agree with justbill if you put you daily activity level down as sedentary then log it. I also find with this site we tend to underestimate the calories in the food and over estimate our exercise calories so it may be a thing to keep your walking calories in the bank so to speak to allow for these descrepencies but that's just what I would do - another option would be to log them for a week and eat them check your progress and then spend a week of not logging them and compare how you feel after each week and the results on the scales you can then make a decision from there x
  • CARNAT22
    I agree with justbill if you put you daily activity level down as sedentary then log it. I also find with this site we tend to underestimate the calories in the food and over estimate our exercise calories so it may be a thing to keep your walking calories in the bank so to speak to allow for these descrepencies but that's just what I would do - another option would be to log them for a week and eat them check your progress and then spend a week of not logging them and compare how you feel after each week and the results on the scales you can then make a decision from there x

Excellent advice - many thanks.

As I only started logging my exercise today I have missed 3 days worth of "extra" calories anyway LOL! So I'll do this week on the lower calorie allowance

Do you really think this site underestimates the calories in food? I am pretty au fait with calorie value (I am a former dieter) and so far eveything I have logged seems to be pretty accurate (in terms of what it says on packaging / my prior knowledge!)

Car
This discussion has been closed.