How accurate is myfitnespal?

mielikkibz
mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
is the calories on here for exercising?

Friends have questioned the posts on facebook that myfitnesspal posts when I add exercises. . .like this morning, I did 30 mins of stationary biking, moderate effort, 393 calories. . .unfortunately, I don't have the manual for this bike to see if I can figure out the 'dashboard' to compare. .

thanks!

Replies

• evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's too accurate. That's why I never eat back all of my exercise calories. I try to eat back 100 at the most to leave some leeway for the excess calories mfp "gives" me.
  • scottc
    scottc Posts: 72
    I was thinking it's pretty accurate because the calories burned not only have to do with the total minutes, but also your weight. So a person weighing 125 would not burn as many calories as a person weighing 200. I hope this helps (and is accurate HA)!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm
    Good for all exercises

Its really bout how accuare are you? I mean if you just input raw data from the foods you eat its really about how on point you are with your data. I use alot of the databaase that has already been configured by other members so it doesn't take too much of my time. I need to concentrate on my wegith loss/training/diet. I say to friends that I want to join that it can be anywhere from 85% to 95% accurate. And then just use caution with all your calucaltions and aim to be under what htey suggest everyday. I am alotted 1800 cals a day. With exervice I will say 2200. I try to go to bed with a couple hundred to spare so this way I know I am safe. Then after a couple weeks really you have learned what works for you and what has not. I been doing this system since Jan 6th and really I probably could walk away from MFP today and still lose and do well but its nice to see the charts. My exercises tells me I burn about 300-350 a day. I know for a fact I am burning more like 500 a day with my workouts. But thats gravy for me

Check the link above
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    I haven't found it to be that accurate with a lot of things. I got a Polar F6 watch to calculate my calories and when I compare it, sometimes it's like 100 calories different or more!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Depends, sometimes it can be dead on other times way off, depends a lot on your current fitness level. The more fit you are the more MFP will over estimate the calories burned. The best way to estimate is to use a HRM, If you don't have one I would only eat back about 75% of your exercise calories, that way you will leave room for error.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    I personally think they are high. I started using the counts from the cardio machines @ the gym or the running app on my iPhone since they are lower. That seems to be working much better. And FYI, cardio machines are notoriously inaccurate, so I usually shave 100 cals or so off of those readouts too.

That's one of the reasons I have an issue with "eating" exercise calories and just prefer to stick to a range. The low end of my range is what MFP gives me, and the higher end accounts for eating some, but not all of my exercise calories. I have too much to do day in, day out, to worry about how many calories I can or can't have.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I wear a HRM (polar FT4) and when I compare its pretty off---more than 100 calories.
  • I spin regularly. If you're doing 30 minutes of vigorous effort then those calories are pretty accurate. I burn about 390 every 30 mins on the stationary bike.
  • MFP over estimates by about 100 calories. I purchased a heart rate monitor and found that I was over estimating my calories by 100 to 150 calories by using what MFP database calculated. It's not a problem unless you eat all your exercise calories back. Hope this helps!
  • I have wondered the same thing. I think the only true way to know is to buy a heart rate monitor (mine is currently broken). I think calorie burn is a little different for everybody depending on height, weight, etc. Like I just recently started jogging, slowly, but jogging still and I am sweating like crazy, can't talk or carry a conversation because of my breathing. I'd say for me, I am working pretty hard, when someone in shape probably wouldn't break much sweat at 4.5 mph on the treadmill. When I punch it into MFP (for 20 min) it says I burned 164 calories. I think it should be more around 180-200. But until my HRM is fixed, I won't know for sure.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    I've used MFP exercise defaults most of the time and I've lost 23 pounds. But, if I do things like bike for 20 minutes but it wasn't that strenuous, I might say I only biked for 15 to play it safe.

PS: I do mostly yoga & aerobics.
  • Everytime I wear my HRM with an exercise. It's pretty dang close.
  • My fitness pal usually says I burn more calories than the machines say I do at the gym. However MFP bases it on your weight and the machines at the gym do not put that into account most of the time. And remember I person weighing 200 lbs will burn more calories than a person weighing 150.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    I found it to be fairly accurate. It's not perfect but close enough.
  • bgagn085
    bgagn085 Posts: 14 Member
    I have asked this question SO many times. I typically find that the machines at the gym are 100-200 more than what MFP tells me. For example yesterday my 35 minutes on the elliptical at a high intensity was 530 calories on the machine but only 317 calories on MFP! Thats a huge difference!!

I think this is beacuse im short (5"2) and there is no input for height or gender on the machines. I usually just go with what MFP says so that I dont end up eating calories that I have'nt burned, but I think im just going to break down and buy a Polar HRM.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    I just use the numbers as a close estimate. Exercise calories and food calories. I do not eat all my "earned" calories from exercise.
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    It's pretty accurate for someone of your height, age, weight and gender in moderately fit condition. It can only estimate off of those numbers, unless you use a heart rate monitor. When I first started working out, MFP was SUPER low on my calorie burn estimate. Now, after 3 months of running, it always estimates high, because my body's gotten more efficient.

GOOD RULE OF THUMB: Shoot to burn 10 calories per minute, for a minimum of 20-30 minutes. So 330 calories for a half hour of exercise is great.

Buy a polar heart rate monitor. It's totally worth the investment, especially if this is a lifestyle choice you're wanting to make.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Sometimes it will be high, sometimes low, and sometimes exactly right. By tracking input, output, and results, you can make adjustments that work for you. I always assume these are estimates.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    I spin regularly. If you're doing 30 minutes of vigorous effort then those calories are pretty accurate. I burn about 390 every 30 mins on the stationary bike.

thanks to everyone! :) natalie, how fast do you go? I try to keep it between 14-20, but today I did 10mins at a resistance of 3, 10 mins warm up at one, 10 mins resistance (which was slower, babying a damaged knee), 10 mins at regular. . .

OTOH, the knee is NOT hurting me anywhere near as much as I worried about, and in fact, doing much better since I started the bike about 2 wks ago :)
  • I spin regularly. If you're doing 30 minutes of vigorous effort then those calories are pretty accurate. I burn about 390 every 30 mins on the stationary bike.

thanks to everyone! :) natalie, how fast do you go? I try to keep it between 14-20, but today I did 10mins at a resistance of 3, 10 mins warm up at one, 10 mins resistance (which was slower, babying a damaged knee), 10 mins at regular. . .

OTOH, the knee is NOT hurting me anywhere near as much as I worried about, and in fact, doing much better since I started the bike about 2 wks ago :)

Since I take a class we do different intervals. Usually I keep my resistance no lower then 7 when I'm doing hills. When I'm working on my pace or speed I try to keep the resistance at a 6. I try to push myself as hard as possible when I do just 30 min classes. I love the stationary bike!
This discussion has been closed.