Thinking about a HRM

Options
Since starting in January 2011 I have been pretty happy with how things are going. I have been reading on here about the HRM and want to make sure I am getting the most accurate amount of calories to record. I do program my weight and age into the machines I use at the gym before starting (elliptical or treadmill). And like a lot of others on here I don't eat all of my exercise calories. I was thinking maybe I would get a HRM when I am down 11 lbs since that is 1/4 of the pounds I want to loose for my goal. But just wondering if there are certain features I want to make sure it has or would it work to just go with the cheapest?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it counts calories and has a chest strap
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it! It comes with a chest strap. The caloric burn that MFP records on here is really way off for me. Usually calculating way too many. My HRM is more accurate. You get to set it to your age, height, weight and it keeps track of calories burned, heart rate and your in zone time. There are others out there, probably work just as well.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I actually went into Scheels and talked to them about it. THe guy told me to get the one with the chest strap as that is the most accurate. I think this will be my treat to myself this weekend. They are pricey (to me anyways) at about $100, but for me, I think it will be a good investment. I wanted to ask him how the chest strap works with b^^bs, but I didn't want to embarass the poor guy too much. :smile:

I have a heart defect from birth, so I know my heart rate spikes really fast, faster than normal, but it does level out....so I'd like the HRM to keep on top of that and to compare my HR to what it is when I'm in the cardiologist's office doing the exercise/treadmill test. Plus, I'd like a more accurate readout on calorie burning too.

They sell the Polar F4 (is that the right term?) at Target for about 95.00.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 has everything you'll need. It has a chest strap, it is coded (so that you don't pick up people around you), you personalize it to all your stats and it comes in a couple colors! I just bought one last weekend for about $70. Look for a coupon to your local sports store! that's what I did and I saved 20%. It can't be beat. Don't get any other brand than Polar.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    just got my polar FT7 the other night. wore it for the first time yesterday.... burned about 1250 cal in under 2 hours. maybe i should eat more now ;)
  • amr_227
    Options
    This is alittle new to me... can something tell me more about what these do. Or maybe a good link to read up on them.
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I never thought to go ask at Scheels. My husband spent a lot of time there questioning about gps systems before he got his they were very helpful:smile:
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it! It comes with a chest strap. The caloric burn that MFP records on here is really way off for me. Usually calculating way too many. My HRM is more accurate. You get to set it to your age, height, weight and it keeps track of calories burned, heart rate and your in zone time. There are others out there, probably work just as well.

Thanks to the lovely people on this site who suggested Polar, I bought a Polar FT4 and it arrived yesterday. I used it last night and I love it long time. The chest strap is soooo much better & more accurate to use than one you have to manually get readings from.
  • wendywr
    Options
    I bought a HRM a couple years ago. I was really tempted by the Polars; however, the battery in the chest strap has to be replaced by the factory, which means mailing it in. I ended up getting a Timex. It was about $50, and has lasted 2.5 years now with no battery replacement. When the chest strap battery DOES die, I can do it myself, so no waiting for it to come back.

Someone was asking about placement. The chest strap doesn't actually go over your boobs; it's just below where your bra strap would be.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM a couple years ago. I was really tempted by the Polars; however, the battery in the chest strap has to be replaced by the factory, which means mailing it in. I ended up getting a Timex. It was about $50, and has lasted 2.5 years now with no battery replacement. When the chest strap battery DOES die, I can do it myself, so no waiting for it to come back.

Someone was asking about placement. The chest strap doesn't actually go over your boobs; it's just below where your bra strap would be.

I just got the Polar FT7 and I can change the batteries myself. I don't have to send it in.

I bought mine from Life Time Fitness. They are having a promo now where if you buy the FT7 by 2/19/11 you can get a free FlowLink (only need this if you want to upload your data to polarpersonaltrainer.com). You have to fill out a form and email/fax in the form with copy of receipt & barcode from the box. Says it takes 6 wks to receive the FlowLink.

eta: when I log the calories form the HRM, I subtract some. I think the HRM gives total calories burned rather than net.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I have a Suunto T1, and it works great! best part....IT WAS FREE :bigsmile:

Thank you work reward and recognition program!!
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT40 online at drugstore.com. There's a Polar sale going on with free shipp, too. Worth checking it out. From what I've heard Polar straps are pretty confortable and you can now change your own batteries on most models.
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i love my polar hrm.
    it cracks me up when people get on an elliptial for an hour and think they burned 700 caolories without breaking a sweat- those machines totaly are inaccurate!