Apartment exercise

smiley01x
smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I live on the second floor of a two family apartment. I would like to know if the 30 day shred would be ok to do in my apartment. i do not like to be jumping on the floor and disrupt the people downstairs. i have the biggest loser workout and i do not like to do it at home because of that reason. thanks
oh and any other workout videos that you can suggest would be appreciated :)

Replies

• The 30 day shred involves jumping jacks so it does involve jumping. I live above someone else, also, but they're noisy so I like to pay them back! :laugh:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I'm in the same situation and I did the 30 Day Shred without any issues. Yes, you are jumping, but I minimized the noise by doing it in my carpeted living room in bare feet. I didn't make much noise at all. And it's only for 27 minutes, as long as the people below you don't come banging on your door to complain, I'd say go for it. I've done Turbo Fire in my living room and the HIIT workouts in that series are LOTS of jumping. Never once has my downstairs neighbor complained about it.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Jackie warner dvd's don't have a ton of jumping...a little bit but you can do modified jumping jacks...not as effective but better than nothing....do side steps raising the hands in jumping jack motions. I have the same problem with noisy exercises when I work out at 5 am. The firm videos I use have this super jump thing. I land really hard and wake up my son. If he is sleeping I just do normal jumping jacks. Not as much of a HR raiser as the super jumps but better than nothing.
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Its not any serious jumping.. like they said just jumping jacks, the butt kicks too but as long as you arent doing it at 3am I think you would be fine.
  • Any of the Beachbody programs would work in your apartment. Dpeneding on what you like there are some that are cardio only ( no equipment needed) like TurboFire, TurboJam, Insanity, or Brazil But Lift . If you want resistence training there is P90X, or Chalene Extreme. As far as disturbing your neighbors don't know what to tell you there, anything you do, including burpees or jumping jacks would make some noise. Do you have a fitness center in your apartment complex? Sorry don't know much about the 30 day shred.
    I also have great success with kettlebells!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    If it may be a problem, I would just modify the moves that are jumping related (which are maybe two in the video) and just run in place or do another cardio type move.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Are your neighbors friendly? Maybe you could let them know that you will be planning on doing a little extra activity 30 minutes a day in the apartment THAT YOU PAY FOR..and you didnt really want to disturb them...Maybe they will be understanding...If not, do it anyway..LOL..kidding...I totally understand your frustration..But you could try the Walk at Home program DVD with leslie Sansone..You're literally walking at home, burning calories and building muscle..I can do them in my living room (carpeted) while my son naps, and he doesnt even wake up
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Is there a time you know they aren't home that you are and could do it?

There is a part in level 3 with plyometrics, but you can modify those to not jump.
  • This blog post I came across the other day suggests some modifications for some of the moves, so on the jacks you're not actually jumping, if it's still a problem for you

http://www.leavingfatville.com/2011/01/30-day-shred-for-rest-of-us-level-1.html
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    I'm not sure you'd have enough room to do some DVD routine moves, but I do jumping jacks and similar moves on my mini-trampoline a.k.a rebounder and nothing in the house shakes the way it would if I were jumping directly on the floor. They're really fun and can be found for pretty cheap - there are fancy ones but you can easily find lower end ones for around $25 too. It's a lot of fun to put music on and do some dance moves and kicks and punches while jumping on the trampoline and it really gets the sweat flowing.
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    thanks for the great ideas guys!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I empathize. I had the guy downstairs knocking on my ceiling because my treadmill running was too loud (it's a clunky treadmill)... I just picked up the 30 Day Shred, and there's nothing he can do to stop me from doing it!

Just workout at a reasonable hour (not waking up the people downstairs too early or keeping them up too late), and there's really nothing else you can do! Fitness is something that should come first for us!

And while the guy downstairs is banging on the ceiling, there is a kid upstairs that works out to super loud rap music. THAT's annoying, but I wouldn't do anything to stop him unless he was going after 11pm. LOL! :laugh:

So get that burn in! A healthier 30 Days to you!
This discussion has been closed.